Recent updates to the web browsers Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are causing some content in ICON to be blocked or appear as a blank page. When ICON (an https:// site) is set to display another webpage via an external link (one that is an http:// site) within the ICON site, the web browser considers this "mixed content" unsafe or unsecure and automatically blocks it.
To tell the web browser to display this content, click on the gray shield icon in the address bar, as seen below.
How to permanently disable Mixed Content Blocking for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome
Permanently turn off mixed content blocking in Firefox:
1. Enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message if it appears)
2. Search for the preference named security.mixed_content.block_active_content.
3. Right-click it and select "Toggle" in order to change the Value to false
Permanently turn off mixed content blocking in Chrome:
1. Go to Start Menu > Google Chrome > right-click on program and select Properties
2. In the Target field, at end after chrome.exe type --allow-running-insecure-content
3. Click OK and restart Google Chrome
Disabling Mixed Content in Chrome for Mac OSX is not recommended by Google, but can be done by adding the flag "--allow-running-insecure-content" to Chromium. Instructions for how to do so are available by searching http://www.chromium.org/ with the keyword "flags".
Note that the above instructions work for your browser only, and for all sites, not only ICON. Other users of your ICON site will need to do the same if they wish to disable this setting permanently. More information for mixed content blocking can be found in the following Mozilla support article: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does-content-isnt-secure-affect... It is recommended that you understand the implications of disabling mixed content blocking before disabling it permanently.
Secondary Support Center:
- icon google chrome mozilla firefox blocked mixed content block blocking unsafe script blank page pages external link links url panopto ui capture library