Microsoft Backup Utility for Windows is an easy to use application that comes installed by default on most Windows XP computers. The utility is a great way to make a backup of those important files that you've been working on for class, work, or personal use. The utility looks at the folder you specify and makes the backup in a single .bkf file. You can later use the same utility to restore your data to its original location on your computer or a new location that you specify.
In this example, we chose to back up the "My Documents" folder and settings, including our Internet favorites and cookies (files that store web browser settings). Follow the steps below to create a secure backup of your files.
Note: Make sure that you ready the device to which you are going to back up your data. In this example we are using a USB key. It is plugged in to an open USB port on the computer. Other options include a 3.5" floppy diskette, an external USB hard drive, second hard drive partition, etc.
Using the Microsoft Backup Utility for Windows to Back Up Data
- To find the Microsoft Backup Utility for Windows, click on the Start menu and browse to All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup.
- On the Welcome screen, click the Next button to continue.
- On the Backup or Restore screen, select the Back up files and settings option and click Next.
- On the next screen you can choose what data you wish to back up. In this example, we are backing up the My Documents folder and settings. If you want to make a backup of another folder on your computer, select Let me choose what to back up and click Next. You can then browse to the folder you want to make a backup of and select it. You can also create a system recovery disk to restore Windows in case of a major failure by choosing All information on this computer.
- After selecting what you want to back up, you will have to choose where to save your backup data. We have readied our USB key in this example by plugging it in to an open USB port on the computer. Select the destination form the drop-down list or click Browse for more options. When you've chosen the destination, click Next.
- You're almost done! Next you'll see a screen saying that the backup wizard is ready to proceed. The Advanced button allows you to modify advanced settings, but for most purposes the default settings are fine. Click the Finish button.
- The backup status screen will display as the data is being backed up. This part of the process could take awhile, depending on how much data you are trying to back up.
- When the backup is complete, the Backup Utility will display a message. Click the Close button.
- Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the location where you saved your backup file. You now have a backup of your important data.
Contact the ITS Help Desk at 4-HELP (4-4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or have any questions.