Top 5 Tech Tips for Students:
The Help Desk is a busy place during the start of the semester. Avoid the lines and stress less by following these top tips:
1. Know Your HawkID Password
A HawkID is necessary to register for classes, view tuition, log in to email, and access most online university services. Your HawkID and password provide access to your grades, finances, and other personal information, so you should never share your password.
If you forgot your HawkID and/or password or you would like to change your password, visit the HawkID Tools page.
2. Enroll in Two-Step Login with Duo Security
Two-Step Login with Duo requires you to finish the login process through an enrolled device such as a smartphone or tablet. Adding the second step makes it difficult for unauthorized users to access your accounts using stolen HawkIDs and passwords, as it asks you to verify your login using a device only you possess.
- Search for and download the free Duo Mobile app in your device's app store. We recommend using the Duo Mobile app because it is more secure, provides convenient push notifications, and doesn’t cost the UI money each time it’s used.
- Set up your Duo profile and secure your data with the Two-Step enrollment tool.
3. Set up Email Using Outlook
How to access your email:
- Set up Office 365 email on your mobile device using the recommended Outlook app
- Log in to access your email via the web at: office365.uiowa.edu
- Instructions for setting up Outlook, Mac Mail, and Windows Mail
4. Connect to Campus Internet
- Wireless internet (eduroam) is available all over campus. Find easy instructions on how to connect wirelessly through eduroam
- Wired internet (ResNet) is available in all residence halls. Find instructions on how to use your Ethernet cable to connect to the internet in the residence halls
- Wireless internet for gaming/entertainment devices (UI DeviceNet) is available for most devices on campus or in residence halls. Find out how to connect your gaming or wireless devices to high-speed internet
5. Take Advantage of Education Discounts
As a registered student, you have access to a large volume of software. Browse our recommended titles.
Some of the most popular titles include:
Microsoft Office--You can install Microsoft Office on up to five personal machines for free. To learn more about this service and how to install it, visit our Microsoft Office support page.
OneDrive for Business (file storage)--Don't wait for a virus or hard drive failure to wipe out that 20-page paper. Back up important documents with OneDrive for Business, a cloud storage solution that offers plenty of storage space for all of your important documents.
We will do our best to support any computer you bring to campus. If you will be purchasing a new computer, take advantage of discounted education rates.
Explore our suggested computer configurations for new and previously purchased computers to see how they compare to our recommended requirements.
If you already have a computer for school, make sure it is up to date by following these easy steps to update your operating system.