IBM SPSS Statistics v25 for Mac OS Installation Instructions (Site License)
- IBM SPSS Statistics 25 release is supported on Apple Macintosh 10.10 (Yosemite) OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and OS X 10.12 (Sierra)
- IBM SPSS Statistics 25 is NOT supported on Apple Macintosh OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and below.
The following instructions are for installing IBM® SPSS® Statistics version 25 using a site license.
During installation, you will be prompted for the following information. This information will be provided when you purchase a site license. Contact ITS Campus Software Program (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you do not have the required information.
Organization: The University of Iowa
Authorization Code: See license information provided when purchased
Running Multiple Versions and Upgrading from a Previous Release
You do not need to uninstall an old version of IBM® SPSS® Statistics before installing the new version. Multiple versions can be installed and run on the same machine. However, do not install the new version in the same directory in which a previous version is installed.
When you purchase a license from the ITS Campus Software Office, you will be given rights to download the installation files from the ITS Software Download site (https://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/software/signin.htm)
Notes for Installation
• You will need to make certain that your machine is connected to the Internet throughout this installation.
• Administrator Rights. You will need to use an account with Administrator Rights to install SPSS on your Apple system.
• IBM SPSS Statistics - Essentials for Python. You are prompted to install IBM SPSS Statistics - Essentials for Python which provides you with the tools to develop custom Python applications for use with IBM SPSS Statistics and run extension commands that are implemented in the Python language. It includes Python versions 2.7.6 and 3.4.3, the IBM SPSS Statistics - Integration Plug-in for Python, and a set of Python extension commands that provide capabilities beyond what is available with built-in SPSS Statistics procedures. For more information, see Integration Plug-in for Python in the Help System. To accept the default option to install IBM SPSS Statistics - Essentials for Python, you must accept the associated license agreement.
- Login to the ITS Software Download site (linked above) and download the Mac SPSS 25 .dmg file.
- After you have downloaded the .dmg file, open it to run the SPSS Statistics Installer.
- Click Open to allow the computer to open the file from the internet.
- When prompted, enter the credentials for an account with Administrator Rights to allow installation. Press Install Helper.
- Choose a language, then select OK.
- Click Next.
- Read the Software License Agreement. Select the "I accept the terms in the license agreement" checkbox. Click Next.
- Choose Yes to install Essentials for Python. Click Next.
- Read the Python License Agreement. Select "I accept the terms of the license agreement." Click Next.
- Read the Essentials for Python 25.0 License Agreement. Select "I accept the terms of the license agreement." Click Next.
- Click Next. (Click Choose to change the location to save SPSS.)
- Review the Pre-Installation Summary and click the Install button to begin the installation.
- The installation will begin and when finished, this screen will be presented. To complete the Installation and launch the License Authorization Wizard, click Done.
- To authorize and license this installation of SPSS, click Next.
- NOTE: If you receive the message "Warning! You do not have the correct administrator privileges to license this product.", verify that you are logged into the machine with an account with Administrative rights. If you get this error when using an account with Administrative rights, this article has directions to fix the issue: https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/110371
- Select Authorized user license. Click Next.
- Enter the Authorization Code received from the Campus Software Office. Click Next.
- Click Finish to complete product authorization.
Using the License Authorization Wizard
After the main part of the installation is complete, click Done to open SPSS and launch the License Authorization Wizard. You will need to be logged in with an ID with Administrator rights to license the software.
If you don’t launch the License Authorization Wizard during installation or cancel the License Authorization Wizard before obtaining a license, you can launch it by clicking the License Authorization Wizard icon in the IBM® SPSS® Statistics application folder.
• When prompted, choose License my product now.
• When prompted, enter one or more authorization codes. You should have received the authorization code(s) when you purchased your license.
The License Authorization Wizard sends your authorization code over the Internet to IBM Corp. and automatically retrieves your license. If your computer is behind a proxy, click Configure proxy settings and enter the appropriate settings.
If the authorization process fails, you will be prompted to send an e-mail message. Choose whether you want to send the e-mail message through your desktop e-mail program or through a Web-based e-mail application.
If you choose the desktop option, a new message with the appropriate information will be created automatically.
If you choose the Web-based option, you must first create a new message in your Web-based e-mail program. Then copy the message text from the License Authorization Wizard and paste it into your e-mail application.
Send the e-mail message and respond to the prompt in the License Authorization Wizard. The e-mail message will be processed almost instantaneously. You can click Enter License Code(s) to enter any license code(s) that you receive. If you already closed the License Authorization Wizard, restart it and select License my product now. On the Enter Codes panel, add the license code that you received and click Next to complete the process.
1. Drag the installation folder to the Trash.
2. In your Home folder, browse to Library/Preferences.
3. Drag com.ibm.spss.plist to the Trash unless you still have some IBM SPSS components still installed.
4. In your Home folder, drag Library/Application Support/ISBM/SPSS/Statistics/2... to the Trash.
5. If desired, remove any customer dialogs that you installed by dragging them to the Trash from /Library/Application Support/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/2....
6. If desired, remove any extension commands that you installed by dragging them to the Trash from /Library/Application Support/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/2....
7. Empty the Trash.
Updating, Modifying, and Renewing IBM SPSS Statistics
If you purchase additional add-on modules or renew your license, you will receive a new authorization code or codes. Follow the directions under using the License Authorization Wizard for instructions on licensing.