IBM SPSS v25 Statistics for Windows Installation Instructions (Site License)
The following instructions are for installing IBM® SPSS® Statistics version 25 using a site license. During installation, you will be prompted for the following information. This information will be provided when you purchase a license from the ITS Campus Software Program. If you do not have this required information, contact the ITS Campus Software Program (email@example.com) if you do not have the required information.
Organization: The University of Iowa
Authorization Code: See License information provided at time of purchase
Installing IBM SPSS Statistics
Once you have purchased a license for SPSS, you will be given rights to access the media on the ITS Software Download page.
Note: To install SPSS Statistics, you must be logged on to your computer with an account with administrator rights.
Running Multiple Versions and Upgrading from a Previous Release
You do not need to uninstall an old version of IBM® SPSS® Statistics before installing the new version. Multiple versions can be installed and run on the same machine. However, do not install the new version in the same directory in which a previous version is installed.
Note for IBM SPSS Statistics Developer
If you are installing IBM® SPSS® Statistics Developer, you can run the product standalone. You can also install R Essentials and Python Essentials to develop with R and Python.
• Make sure your copy of Microsoft Windows is up-to-date by running the Windows Update program and making certain that all critical Windows updates been installed.
Notes for Installation:
License type. Be sure to select Site License.
Help language. IBM® SPSS® Statistics provides the ability to change the user interface language. If you want the help language to always match the user interface language, select the languages that you may use. Installing help for additional languages increases disk space requirements by 60-70 MB for each language. You can also install additional languages later by choosing to change the installation in the Windows Control Panel.
Assistive technology. You will be prompted to enable JAWS for Windows for IBM SPSS Statistics. JAWS for Windows is screen reading software fo those with visual impairments. If you do not need JAWS for Windows, accept the default option, No. If you do enable JAWS for Windows at this time, note that you might also want to copy the supplied dictionary file so JAWS for Windows reads statistical terms correctly.
IBM SPSS Statistics - Essentials for Python. You are prompted to install IBM SPSS Statistics - Essentials for Python which provides you with the tools to develop custom Python applications for use with IBM SPSS Statistics and run extension commands that are implemented in the Python language. It includes Python versions 2.7 and 3.4, the IBM SPSS Statistics - Integration Plug-in for Python, and a set of Python extension commands that provide capabilities beyond what is available with built-in SPSS Statistics procedures. For more information, see Integration Plug-in for Python in the Help System. To accept the default option to install IBM SPSS Statistics - Essentials for Python, you must accept the associated license agreement.
- When you download the SPSS installation file from the ITS Software Download site, the file will be compressed as a ZIP file. After you have downloaded the file, you will need to use a program such as WinRAR or WinZIP to decompress the file so that you can install the software. Once you have selected and installed a software program on your computer to decompress the ZIP file, choose the file you downloaded and extract, or decompress the file in that archive to a folder on your desktop. As you decompress the file, use the default folder name suggested by the extraction software.
- Using Windows Explorer, browse to the location where you extracted the files.
- Right-click on the .exe file and choose Run as Administrator.
- After clicking the button, the InstallShield Wizard should open and it will begin to install. When it is done, it will close and the Licensed Materials window in the wizard will open. Click Next to continue.
- After clicking next, the License Agreement will appear. Click "I accept the terms of the license agreement" after reading the License Agreement. Click Next to continue.
- The option to install Essentials for Python will appear in the wizard. Yes is chosen by default. Click Next to continue.
- The License Agreements for Python 2.7.6 and Python 3.4.3 will appear next. Click "I accept the terms of the license agreement" after reading the agreement. Click Next to continue.
- The License Agreement for the SPSS Statistics Essentials for Python 25 will appear next. Click "I accept the terms of the license agreement" after reading the agreement. Click Next to continue.
- You will be prompted for the location to save the program next. To change the Destination Folder, click Change. Click Next to continue.
- The next step is to install the software. Click Install.
- The program installation is complete. Click Finish.
- The SPSS License Authorization Wizard will open. Choose Authorized user license. Click Next to continue.
- The Enter Codes window will open. Put in the authorization code in the blank provided and click Next to continue.
- The Internet Authorization Status window will open. When the authorization is successful, click Next to continue.
- The authorization is now complete. Click Finish.
Using the License Authorization Wizard
Note: You may be prompted for administrator credentials. Without the correct credentials, you will not be able to run the License Authorization Wizard.
• If you don’t launch the License Authorization Wizard during installation or cancel the License Authorization Wizard before obtaining a license, you can launch it by choosing License Authorization Wizard in the Windows Start menu program group for IBM® SPSS® Statistics. Right-click the License Authorization Wizard shortcut and choose Run As Administrator.
• When prompted, choose License my product now.
• When prompted, enter one or more authorization codes. You should have received the authorization code(s) after you purchased the software from the Campus Software License office.
The License Authorization Wizard sends your authorization code over the Internet to IBM Corp. and automatically retrieves your license. If your computer is behind a proxy, click Configure proxy settings and enter the appropriate settings.
If the authorization process fails, you will be prompted to send an e-mail message. Choose whether you want to send the e-mail message through your desktop e-mail program or through a Web-based e-mail application.
• If you choose the desktop option, a new message with the appropriate information will be created automatically.
• If you choose the Web-based option, you must first create a new message in your Web-based e-mail program. Then copy the message text from the License Authorization Wizard and paste it into your e-mail application.
Send the e-mail message and respond to the prompt in the License Authorization Wizard. The e-mail message will be processed almost instantaneously. You can click Enter License Code(s) to enter any license code(s) that you receive. If you already closed the License Authorization Wizard, restart it and select License my product now. On the Enter Codes panel, add the license code that you received and click Next to complete the process.
To completely uninstall IBM SPSS Statistics:
1. Use the Windows Control Panel to remove IBM SPSS Statistics.
2. Delete the following folder:
Windows 7 and Later: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\22
Updating, modifying, and renewing SPSS Statistics
If you purchase additional add-on modules or renew your license, you will receive a new authorization code or codes. Follow the directions above under using the License Authorization Wizard for instructions on updating licensing.