Virtual Desktop supports launching remote applications on most any kind of device, both desktop and mobile. While it is possible to run Virtual Desktop applications on smaller devices, like a Windows phone, the user experience is much better on a tablet device like a Microsoft Surface. The following instructions were written for installing Citrix Receiver on a Microsoft Surface with Windows RT but the instructions are fundamentally the same for a Windows phone.
Installing and Using the Citrix Receiver for Microsoft Surface with Windows RT
- Tap the Microsoft Store tile.
- Search for Citrix Receiver.
- In the Citrix Receiver search result, tap Install.
- After installing Citrix Receiver, launch the app. You need to tell Citrix Receiver the location of the Virtual Desktop service. Enter https://virtualdesktop.uiowa.edu/Citrix/VirtualDesktop in the appropriate field. (Note the s in https://.)
- Enter your HawkID credentials in the form of Domain\HawkID. For example "iowa\ctxtest". Tap Log On.
- Any favorite applications you've added on other devices will appear under My Apps.
- To add more Favorite Apps, swipe upward from the bottom of the screen and tap Add in the lower right corner.
- You will see All Available Apps. Tap icons of the applications you would like to add to your favorites.
- When you have finished adding applications to your favorites, swipe downward from the top of the screen to get back to My Apps.
- To launch a favorite app, simply tap its icon in My Apps. The application will launch a connection to the application in Virtual Desktop.