Uninstalling legacy Citrix clients from Windows
On the Windows platform, there are some known issues when running the Citrix Receiver installer when a legacy Citrix client is already installed. In many cases, the installer just upgrades the legacy client without issue. However, Citrix has released many different clients with many different names, in many versions over the years. Occasionally, the Citrix Receiver installer cannot complete the upgrade because it doesn't recognize a legacy client. Remnants of the legacy client can causes conflicts when the Citrix Receiver installer runs.
The safe course of action is to uninstall any previous Citrix clients on your Windows machine before running the Citrix Receiver installer.
- Open Control Panel | All Programs/Programs and click any older Citrix clients to uninstall them. (The various legacy client names and icons are listed below.)
- After uninstalling older clients, try running the Citrix Receiver installer.
- If you see installation errors, see the section below about the Citrix Receiver Clean-Up Utility.
The various names for Citrix clients are as follows:
- Citrix ICA Client 6.1-9.2
- Citrix Plugin for Hosted Apps 11.0-11.3
- Citrix Online Plugin 12.0-12.3
- Citrix Receiver 3.0-4.0
The icons for previous Citrix clients can be any of the following:
What if I've already run the Citrix Receiver installer and an upgrade failed?
Citrix has created the Receiver Clean-Up Utility to address issues with upgrading to Citrix Receiver.
If you are seeing errors or the Citrix Receiver isn't working properly after installation, follow the steps below:
- Uninstall any older Citrix clients (see icons above) AND the Citrix Receiver.
- Download and run the Receiver Clean-Up Utility. (Please note, this is meant to be run AFTER you've uninstalled all Citrix clients using the above method. The utility cleans up old registry settings, settings files and program folders that could be causing conflicts when the Citrix Receiver installer runs. Your account must be a member of the local Administrators group on your computer to run the script.)
- Try installing the Citrix Receiver again.
If you continue to have issues, please contact the ITS Help Desk.