NOTICE: The OPP Player will not function in the new ICON Canvas environment - for more information about the changes coming to the learning management system see http://its.uiowa.edu/icon. Therefore, ITS will be retiring the OPP player as a service in the summer of 2017.
As a replacement, ITS recommends using the campus supported ShareStream or UICapture systems or Google's YouTube. Please contact the ITS Help Desk if you would like to consult with someone from our digital media team about what would work best for you.
Adding OPP Player to an ICON Course
Table of Contents
1. Have media in appropriate folder on streaming media server. Contact the ITS Help Desk, if you don’t already have a folder.
2. Have Instructor-Designer status or a similar role in the ICON course you wish to put the OPP player in.
1. Open a new browser and go to http://collections.uiowa.edu/about/home/opp.html.
2. Scroll down until you see the code portion of the page. Make sure you select the correct player for your needs: Video or Audio Player.
3. Highlight all of the code.
4. Copy the code (Ctrl+c for Windows or Command+c for Mac or Right click and select Copy).
1. Navigate to the content area of the ICON course you want to add the OPP player to.
2. If needed create a New Module for the OPP Player (if not skip to next step).
3. Once in the module click the button labeled New.
4. Select Create a File from the drop down menu.
5. Enter a title in the box labeled Enter a Title.
6. Click the HTML Source Editor button locate in the lower right hand corner.
7. Highlight all of the text in the box and delete it.
8. Paste the text you copied earlier into the box.
9. Replace YourFolderName/YourMediasName.mp4 (or .mp3 for audio) with the information of the file on the streaming server the OPP player is going to play.
a. NOTE: you don’t need the words iowa.uiowa.edu/shared/streaming in the path
b. NOTE: the slashes must be forward slashes e.g. / not backslashes e.g. \
c. NOTE: the title of your video must match the title on the streaming server, including the extension. Spaces between characters, special characters (&*% and extra periods, etc.) and hyphens will cause problems. Underscores are ok to use.
10. Click Save.
11. Click Publish.
12. You will see that the OPP Player is now in your course and directed to the media you wish to play.
13. Repeat these steps for each media file you wish to embed from the streaming media server.
©2014 The University of Iowa