This document will outline the steps needed to unlock an MBAM BitLocker encrypted system using the U of I MBAM IT Admin Portal.
If you encounter a computer that has entered BitLocker recovery mode and you are not a regular user of that computer you will most likely not be able to retrieve the recovery key through the MBAM self service portal here: https://uibitlocker.iowa.uiowa.edu/SelfService However, if you have access to the U of I MBAM IT Admin Portal: https://uibitlocker.iowa.uiowa.edu/helpdesk/ you should be able to recover the key.
1. On the BitLocker Recovery screen take note of the Recovery Key ID.
2. On a different computer open up a web browser, go to https://uibitlocker.iowa.uiowa.edu/helpdesk/ and login to the helpdesk portal. Note: if you cannot access this page contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request access.
3. Click on Drive Recovery in the left hand pane.
4. Type in the first eight characters of the Recovery Key ID from step 2, select a reason for recovery from the drop down box and click Submit. Note: You do not need to fill in the "User Domain" or "User ID" fields. Filling them in could result in not finding the recovery key for that system.
5. The Drive Recovery Key will appear below the Key ID. Enter this 48 digit key into the recovery key box from step 2 on the locked computer.
6. Once the system is unlocked, make sure that the computer is connected to the University of Iowa’s network and login so the new recovery key can be escrowed to the U of I MBAM server.