Microsoft Windows offers several ways to shut down or restart your computer, one of which is via the command prompt.
To access the command prompt window from Windows 8 or 10:
- Go to the Start menu
- Type cmd in the Search field
- Press Enter
From an open command prompt window:
- type shutdown, followed by the option you wish to execute.
- To shut down your computer, type shutdown /s
- To restart your computer, type shutdown /r
- To log off your computer type shutdown /l
- For a complete list of options type shutdown /?
- After typing your chosen option, press Enter. The computer will execute your desired task