When the Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology made the move to Canvas (the new LMS that powers ICON) based on feedback from the university, we understood that access to previous Desire2Learn (D2L) content would be of value to instructors. For this reason, the ICON Team has built an ICON Archive system that stores old course content that once lived in D2L.
ICON Archive, located within the ICON Dashboard, will allow course instructors to view multiple areas of their courses that were hosted within D2L.
Instructors can download course packages from the ICON Archive and import them to their course in Canvas.
Students wishing to access D2L course content--files they uploaded to the D2L dropbox, or other information from D2L, will need to contact their instructors.
How do I access the ICON Archive?
Instructors can access their ICON Archive courses by changing the semester on the ICON Dashboard to an earlier semester, and clicking on a course name.
ICON Archive View of Available Course Materials
What is included in the ICON Archive?
Two tabs are displayed within the Classlist tab, Classlist & Groups.
- Classlist data includes: First & Last Name, HawkID, UID and the role that person had in the course.
- Groups data includes: Group Names, Description, Category Name, Category Description and Members that were associated with each group. Clicking the View button displays the members First & Last Name, HawkID, UID and Role in the course. Each group set is exportable.
Within the News tab you can find all of the News items that were posted to the course. News items are displayed in chronological order from oldest to most recent. Each News item displays the Title, Body, Attachments and the Date it was posted. Any links that were included in the post are still active but keep in mind that they may not work if the URL behind it is outdated. Attachments included to these items are still available for download.
Displays all events listed in the course calendar. Information displayed for each event includes: Title, Description, Start / End Dates, and how many times the event reoccurred.
All discussion forums from the course are made available. Each forum includes the number of Threads & Posts as well a Settings and a View button.
- Clicking Settings will enable you to see the Description, Date Posted and whether or not the following were turned On/Off:
- Allow Anonymous Responses, Locked, Participate to Post and Required Approval.
- Clicking View will display the Topics, Threads, Posts, another Settings and View button.
- This Settings button displays: Description, Date Posted, Number of Replies, Number of Views and whether or not the following were turned On/Off:
- This View button displays: the Discussion Post, Responses - which are expandable/collapsible, number of Replies, the Date and who made the Latest Post.
You may need to scroll to the bottom of the page to view other pages if multiple exist.
Three tabs are displayed within the Grades tab - Student Grades, Grade Objects and Grade Categories.
- Student Grades allows you to search for a user by starting to type their name or use the drop-down list to locate them. Once a student has been selected and searched their grades will be displayed. You will be able to see each Grade Object, Points - their score, Out of - points possible and what that equals as a percentage.
- Grade Objects displays the Object, graded assessment, name and an Info button for each Object.
- The Info button displays the Grade Category, Description, Max Points, Weight and Grade Type.
- Grade Categories displays the different Categories that were present in the Gradebook. There is an Info button for each Category Name.
Each quiz in the course is listed and displays the Category, Start/End Dates, Out of and a View button. The View button displays three tabs - Summary, Questions and Other.
- Summary displays the Description, Category, Start/End Dates, number of Questions, Out Of and whether or not the quiz was Active in the course.
- Questions displays the question titles within the quiz. Each question title can expand to show the actual question and possible answers. A Show Answer button will then reveal the answer.
- Other displays Calculation Type, Time Limit, Average Score, Attempts Allowed, Attempts Completed and whether or not the following were turned On/Off:
- Auto Graded, allowed Hints, Restricted or provided Instant Feedback.
The Dropbox displays the Name, Category, Number of Files & Flagged Files, Due Date and a View button for each Dropbox item. The View button on this page displays a View Dropbox Summary button, Feedback, who left the feedback, number of Files, Score given and a View button.
The View Dropbox Summary button will display:
- Type of dropbox
- Number of Submissions
- Number of Files
- Read Files
- Flagged Files
- whether the dropbox was Restricted or not
- Points possible
- Start, End & Due Dates
The View button that is exposed after clicking View displays that specific File, who uploaded it, the date which it was submitted and whether it has been deleted. Files that are still present will be downloadable.
Click the download link to download your course archive, which contains course content and and course structure in .zip file that can be imported into Canvas if you so choose. Note that this .zip file does not contain student information (grades, discussion posts, quiz attempts, etc.).
If this course has not been imported to Canvas, you can import it into your Canvas course. While most things transfer correctly, keep in mind that instructors should review material imported to Canvas. Visit this page for what to check after importing the course archive.
What is not included in the ICON Archive?
- Seating Charts
- Intelligent agents
- Student & Faculty lockers
- Emails sent through ICON