Remote Desktop Web Client Instructions
The new Remote Desktop Web Client uses HTML5 to allow you to connect to a Remote Desktop completely within a web browser. This client, while convenient, is somewhat limited in that it only allows for the redirection of local printers and the Windows clipboard. If this client does not meet your needs, you should choose one of the other methods of connecting to RRDS.
Prerequisites: Check the Prerequisites section on the main RRDS support page regarding the following:
- RRDS access for your account
- DUO Two-Factor Authentication
- VPN access for connections off campus.
- In a web browser that supports HTML5 (most any modern web browser does), browse to https://rrds.uiowa.edu/rdweb/webclient/index.html
- Log in with the account for which you have been granted access to RRDS.
- A single icon will appear called RRDS. Click the icon to launch a connection to RRDS.
- You will be asked whether you would like to access your local clipboard and printers. Click Allow.
- A series of connection dialogues will appear and a connection to RRDS will appear in your browser window.
- RRDS now uses DUO Two-Step Authentication. This added security measure helps keep your data safe. After you launch a connection to RRDS, this screen will display and (if you have configured Duo Two-Step Authentication) your configured device should ring. Answer the call and hit any key to complete authentication. You will be logged into a desktop.
Tips and Tricks to Using the Web Client
- If you resize the browser window, the remote desktop within will automatically resize accordingly. To make the remote desktop fill your entire screen, click the icon indicated in the upper right corner of the window. Once maximized, click the same icon too snap the desktop back into the browser window.
- To hide the bar that borders the desktop on the top, click the icon indicated.
- Clicking "Sign Out" in the upper right hand corner does not log your session out of the desktop, it disconnects the session.