Note: Spirion licensing has been discontinued, and the application and support site is being phased out. As of March 2021, no new updates are available to the Spirion application.
Spirion is available for download and installation on the Windows operating system. Mac users or users who cannot download and install Spirion due to administrative permissions or other reasons can use Spirion through Virtual Desktop.
Spirion through Virtual Desktop does not have Outlook search capability.
To scan your computer using Spirion on Virtual Desktop:
On the computer you want to scan, open a web browser and go to https://virtualdesktop.uiowa.edu.
Log in with your Hawk ID and password.
Double-click the Spirion application.
- Allow the application full access to the local files on your computer.
Note: If you previously restricted access to your local files in Virtual Desktop, you can remove that preference and prompt it to ask you again by following these instructions:
- After the program opens, go system tray in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Right click on Citrix Receiver, and click About.
- When the "About Citrix Receiver" window opens, click on the Advanced drop down arrow, then click on "Connection Center"
- When the Connection Center window opens, there should be an area on the right side titled "Session Security". Change the "Files:" drop down to Full Access. Click close.
You may be asked to create a new profile if you have never used Spirion via Citrix before or are starting a new profile for Spirion.
Once the Spirion application has started, choose the Locations tab and click the Custom Folders button.
On the Spirion Personal Information File window, choose Customer Folder List and click the "..." button next to the Add button.[img_assist|nid=2219|title=|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=529|height=253]
Choose the C$ on Client drive (typically the V: drive or Y: drive) and click OK. Click Add to add it to the list of drives to search. You will only be able to add one folder at a time, but you can also select your personal network storage drive (H: drive) and add it to the search locations.
Once you have defined the search drive/folder locations, click OK, then click the Main tab.
To begin the search, click the Start button.
The Spirion scan will search for sensitive personal information, including social security numbers and credit card numbers. For information on what to do with the results of a scan, click here.