WARNING: This process will destroy all data on the hard drive. Make sure you have all of your important files backed up to another source (USB flash drive, DVD, network, another computer,etc.) before you begin the procedure.
NOTE: This process is intended for on-campus workstations only. A network connection is required.
- Download the Operating System Install .iso file from the ECM Collaborate share and burn it to a USB flash drive using your preferred burning software, e.g. Nero, Roxio, etc. Visit this guide if you need assistance with creating a bootable USB drive
- Put the boot media in the computer you would like to install the operating system on, reboot the computer, and boot to this media. On most Dell systems you can press F12 at the initial Dell boot up screen to go to the boot menu, then choose USB from the list to boot to the computer
- When you see “Press any key to boot from USB…” press any key on the keyboard to boot to the computer
- Wait for Windows PE to load
- At the Welcome screen, click Run the Deployment Wizard to install a new Operating System
- At the User credentials screen, enter your TechID, password, and domain. Click OK.
NOTE: If you are unable to log in at this screen or the process does not continue past this point, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and verify that you are a member of the access group that is allowed to use the UI MDT OS Install iso
- At the Task Sequence screen, select the Operating System you wish to install and click Next
- At the Computer Details screen, enter what you would like the computer name to be. If you want the machine to join the IOWA domain, accept the defaults, and click Next. If you want to join a workgroup, click the Join a workgroup radio button, specify the name of the workgroup, and click Next
- On the applications screen, check the boxes for all of the applications you would like to install and click Next
Note: Some of the applications in the list are platform-specific (e.g. Office365 ProPlus) – make sure you pick the appropriate one for the OS you are installing
- On the Administrator password screen, enter what you would like to be the password for the local Administrator account, enter it again in the confirm box, and click Next
- At the Ready to Begin screen, click Begin
- That’s it!! The process will begin and will take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the speed of the computer, the speed of your network connection, and the options that were chosen earlier in the process.
Note: The computer will reboot several times during the process. Do not power off the machine or reboot manually while it is in progress. When you see the Deployment Summary screen the installation is complete. Please contact the Help Desk for any questions or problems with the installation.