If your connection is set up as described in the connection diagram on the Instructions page, but you still cannot access the Internet, check the following before calling for technical support.
- Make sure the cable modem has power.
- Check that the modem power supply is plugged into the wall and the modem.
- If using a power strip, unplug the modem from the power strip and plug it directly into the wall. The Power LED on the cable modem should light up solid green. If red, call the ITS Help Desk at 384-4357.
- If the US and DS LEDs are flashing simultaneously, the modem is still operating but the connection to Mediacom has been lost. Call Mediacom at 1-877-387-8087.
Getting Help/Service Support Responsibilities
Mediacom is responsible for providing the Ethernet signal to your apartment over the University’s cable system. Tenants should call Mediacom first with service troubles at 1-877-387-8087. You will need to provide your Account Number when you call. This can be found on the top of the cable modem.
- If Mediacom determines the trouble is with the computer rather than the cable modem, you will be instructed to call the ITS Help Desk (384-4357).
- If Mediacom determines the trouble to be with the cable modem itself or with the cabling to the apartment, Mediacom will call ITS to report the trouble.
University ITS is responsible for cable modem hardware failures (not related to abuse) and for the cabling system to the apartment.
You (University Apartment tenant) are responsible for your computer, the Ethernet adapter in your computer, and the connections inside the apartment to the cable modem.
- If you need help with computer-related troubles, call the ITS Help Desk at 384-4357.
- If Mediacom is not responding to your reported trouble, contact the ITS Help Desk.