Using the U of I OS Install CD with Oracle VirtualBox
- Download the U of I OS Install .iso file from the Help Desk Software Download site and save it to a temporary location on the hard drive of the machine you have VirtualBox installed on, i.e. C:>temp>UofI_OS_Install.iso, or the Desktop if on a Mac.
- Launch Oracle VM VirtualBox.
- At the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager Welcome Screen, click the New Button.
4. In the Create New Virtual Machine Window, click Next (or Continue if on a Mac).
5. In the VM Name and OS Type Window, type in a name for the Virtual Machine you are creating, choose the appropriate Operating System and Version from the drop boxes, and click Next.
6. In the Memory Window, move the slider to the amount of memory you want to allocate to the VM and click Next.
7. At the Virtual Hard Disk screen, accept the defaults and click Next.
8. At the Create New Virtual Disk screen, accept the default if you are not going to use this VM with other virtualization software, otherwise choose the appropriate file type and click Next.
9. At the Virtual Disk Storage Details screen, accept the default and click Next.
10. At the Virtual disk file location and size screen, accept the defaults unless you want to change the location of the VM file or size of the virtual disk and click Next. Note: the default location is in the user profile that you are currently logged in with. If you are intending this VM to be usable by other users you should change the location to a place that is accessible to other users, i.e. the All Users folder or some other folder they have access to.
11. At the Summary screen, click Create.
12. At the next Summary screen, click Create.
13. In the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager, highlight the newly created VM and click the Settings button.
14. In the Settings Window, click the Storage icon in the left-hand pane
15. In the Storage Window, in the Storage Tree pane highlight the IDE Controller and click the add Hard Disk Button.
16. In the Question pop-up box click Choose Existing Disk.
17. In the Choose a virtual hard disk file window, select the Virtual disk file that you created in step 10 and click Open (If you accepted the defaults in step 10 this will be located in your User profile in a folder called VirtualBox VMs, i.e. C:>Users>Username>VirtualBox VMs>VMFilename.vdi – it should default to this directory).
18. In the Storage Settings window, highlight the .vdi file listed under SATA Controller in the Storage Tree pane and click the Remove button.
19. In the Storage Settings window, highlight the Empty CD-ROM icon listed under IDE Controller and then click the CD attributes icon in the right hand pane.
20. Click “Choose a virtual CD-DVD disk file…” from the drop down menu.
21. Browse to the location you saved the U of I OS Install .iso you downloaded from the Helpdesk site in Step 1, select the .iso file and click Open.
22. Click OK.
23. Click the green Start arrow.
24. In the Information box click OK.
25. In the Information box click OK.
26. If you get a message about mouse pointer integration click OK
27. That’s it! You should now be presented with the normal Lite Touch screens you would see when running the process on a physical machine – run through the process as normal. If you have any problems please contact the Help Desk at 4-4357.