If the list configuration settings are set to:
The editor/moderator will receive the following message:
This message was originally submitted by SenderFirstName-SenderLastName@UIOWA.EDU to the
LISTNAME list at LIST.UIOWA.EDU. You can approve it using the "OK"
mechanism (click on the link below), ignore it, or repost an edited copy. The
message will expire automatically and you do not need to do anything if you
just want to discard it. Please refer to the list owner's guide if you are not
familiar with the "OK" mechanism; these instructions are being kept
purposefully short for your convenience in processing large numbers of
The above message will include a copy of the message submitted for your approval.
To approve the above message, either
- Click on the URL provided
- Reply with just "ok" as the body of your message (only if HOLD is specified on the Send keyword)
- Or use the LISTSERV Web Interface to approve the message.
If using the LISTSERV web interface to approve the message:
- Log In to LISTSERV.
- Select List Management > List Dashboard
- You will see the following message, if messages are waiting for approval: There are currently messages awaiting moderation on lists for which you are listed as a moderator. Please see the table below for more details. Follow the "Edit Table" link to select the lists that you want included in this report.
- Click Moderate next to the list you wish to moderate.
- Follow on-screen instructions. If you select List Moderation directly from the toolbar, you must select All Moderators and Refresh to see the messages waiting for your approval.
The posting will appear to come from the original sender, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also edit the message and resend it to the list, but the posting will appear to come from you, the editor, Editorname <EditorFirstName-EditorLastName@uiowa.edu>
If you always need to edit the messages before sending them on you can change the list configuration headers to (remove the HOLD):
See the List Owner's Manual, section 15 Moderating and Editing Lists through Email for more detailed information.