Review the following categories to manage your Two-Step profile and enrolled devices.
If you use Duo Mobile push notifications with Two-Step Login and get a new phone or another compatible device, you must replace your HawkID login account profile in the Duo Mobile app on your new phone.
To configure the Duo Mobile app on your new phone:
- On your new phone, open the Duo Mobile app and remove the "University of Iowa - HawkID Login" account if listed in the app
- iOS: Delete an account by tapping the "Edit" button in the upper left. Then tap the red delete (minus sign) icon, and confirm the deletion
- Android: Delete an account by long-pressing on an account. Then tap "Remove account" and confirm the deletion
- Windows: Select the option to "reactivate Duo Mobile" from the menu option in the Duo Mobile app
- Log in to your Two-Step Profile using your HawkID and password
- Click the "I need to reset/replace Duo Push for this device" link under the mobile phone number you've transferred to your new phone, as shown below:
4. A window will display "Duo Push Options." Click "Reset Duo Push." Follow the instructions to replace your HawkID account for Duo Push on your new phone.
- Follow the instructions to "Activate Duo Mobile" that appear on the next computer screen next to the bar code.
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your phone or tablet
- Tap the "+" button, or tap "add account"
- Tap "Scan Barcode" and hold your phone up to the barcode displayed on your computer screen to scan it.
- Click "Verify Duo Push Activation" button on your computer screen.
- If you get a new phone and are not yet using the Duo Mobile push method for Two-Step Login, no changes are required. (Text messages and phone calls are tied to a phone number, and are not customized for one specific physical phone.) To begin using the Duo Mobile app, see the enrollment instructions.
- If you are unable to replace Duo push on your new smartphone using the above instructions, delete the phone from your Enrolled Devices list, and then re-enroll your new phone. To Delete an enrolled device:
- Check to make sure its not your default device. If it is, make another device your default temporarily by selecting it, and clicking on "Make Default" and "Save"
- If you have only one enrolled number, add another number and make it your default temporarily.
- Click on the device you need to delete from your list of enrolled devices
- Click the Delete Device button. ("Delete Device" is not shown if you select your Default Device.)
To delete a device from Two-Step Login:
- Log in to your Two-Step Login profile using your HawkID and password, and then select the device from the list of enrolled devices
- Choose the Delete Device button
Note: You cannot delete your Default Device from Duo Security. If the device you need to delete is listed as the Default Device, make another device the Default Device first, by selecting it, or adding another enrolled device, and then click the Make Default button. You can then select the device you wish to delete.
You can become locked out of Duo Security if you enter an invalid (or used) passcode too many times, or if you let multiple Duo mobile push notifications expire in the app without approving or denying them. These are security features that prevent hackers from trying to guess the Duo passcode, or from trying to circumvent the mobile app.
To unlock your Two-Step Login account, log in to the Two-Step Login Enrollment Tool and select Enable two-step login from the links in the upper right corner (see below). The link will then change to "Disable two-step login" and the title at the top left of the page will say "Two-Step Login is: Enabled" instead of "Two-Step Login is: Disabled".
Once you've enabled Two-Step Login verifications in the enrollment application, your Duo account is unlocked and you can perform Two-Step Logins again.
Important: Each passcode for Duo is a one-time-use only code and once new codes are generated, any previously saved codes are invalid.
If you continue to have issues with your Duo account becoming locked out, contact the ITS Help Desk for assistance.
Your default device should be the one you wish to use most often for Two-Step Logins, it will be listed as the default during your Two-Step login. If you have only one device enrolled for Duo, it will automatically be your default device. If you have more than one device enrolled for Duo, which is recommended, the default device will be selected, but appears in a drop-down box that you can use to select another device you have enrolled for that one login.
Changing your Default Device:
1. Log in to the Two-Step Login enrollment application with your HawkID and password
2. In the Two-Step Devices menu, click on the enrolled device that you wish to make your default from the list of enrolled devices
3. The Edit Device menu will then appear on the right (see below image)
3. Click the Make Default button
4. Click Save Device
Note: You can not delete your default device from Duo Enrollment. If you need to delete your default, you must first make another device your default, and then you can delete the old default.