L: Drive: Most users will see their Shared Departmental files (L: Drive) by going to Computer and double clicking. You will see an L: drive mapped to your departmental shared drive. Please note: Some departments/colleges use a different letter to map the drive. Contact your local IT Support if you have questions.
U: Drive: If you have access to an Intra-University folder (e.g. IowaData or PSoft), you can access these files by going to Computer and double clicking on the U: Drive.
If you are off-campus, you must connect to the UI AnyWhere VPN before following the instructions listed below.
If your drive is not connected automatically, follow these instructions for a Windows PC.
- Windows 10: Go to the search bar in the lower left hand corner and type "This PC". Right click on This PC and select Map Network Drive.
- In the drop-down menu under "Drive" select L:.
- In the "Folder" field type \\iowa.uiowa.edu\shared\mydeptname (replace "mydeptname" with your Shared drive name).
- If you want to reconnect at login, select the Reconnect at logon check box.
- Check the box for Connect using different credentials.
- Click Finish.
- When prompted for your username and password, enter your HawkID followed by @uiowa.edu as the username (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and your HawkID password for the password.
- Click OK to connect.
If your drive is not connected automatically, follow these instructions for a Mac:
- Open Finder and navigate to the menu Go > Connect to Server.
- In the "Server Address" bar, type in smb://iowa.uiowa.edu/shared/mydeptname.
- Click on Connect.
- Click on the + sign to add the address in permanently in your list of "Favorite Servers".