L: Drive: Most users will see their Shared Departmental files (L: Drive) by going to Computer and double-clicking. You will see an L: drive mapped to your departmental shared drive. Please note: Some departments/colleges use a different letter to map the drive. Contact your local IT Support if you have questions.
U: Drive: The U: drive is mapped for all domain connected workstations. Double click to access and go to the folder you are looking for.
If you are off-campus, you must connect to the UI AnyWhere VPN before following the instructions listed below.
If your drive is not connected automatically, follow these instructions for Windows 10.
- Go to the search bar in the lower left-hand corner and type "This PC". Right-click on This PC and select Map Network Drive.
- In the drop-down menu under "Drive" select L:.
- In the "Folder" field type \\iowa.uiowa.edu\shared\mydeptname (replace "mydeptname" with your Shared drive name).
- If your computer could be used off-campus uncheck the "Reconnect at logon" check box.
- Check the box "Connect using different credentials."
- Click Finish.
- When prompted for a username and password, enter your HawkID followed by @uiowa.edu as the username (e.g. email@example.com) and your HawkID password.
- Note: If you are unable to enter your username in this format click More choices and then User a different account.
- Click OK to connect.
If your drive is not connected automatically, follow these instructions for a Mac:
- Open Finder and navigate to the menu Go > Connect to Server.
- In the "Server Address" bar, type in smb://iowa.uiowa.edu/shared/mydeptname.
- Click on Connect.
- When prompted for your name and password enter your HawkID followed by @uiowa.edu as the username (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and your HawkID password for the password.
- Click on the + sign to add the address to your list of "Favorite Servers".