Both the Share and Copy Link commands now default to the same permissions and use the same link settings.
- Share uses the automatic email messaging inside of Office 365.
- Copy Link allows you to send your own email message.
Anyone with this link: This is anonymous sharing. Anyone can forward the link to another person. This option does not require recipients to sign-in. You do NOT have to have any Microsoft account to use this. You can uncheck the “Edit” if you only want recipients to view. When would I use this?
- Easiest way to share files and folders.
- Use for files and folders that are not considered sensitive.
- Use for files and folders that you easily want to share with Healthcare users or others that are not sensitive.
People in University of Iowa: This is only useful if you are sharing with other University of Iowa folks. This will not work for sharing with Healthcare users unless you select the Iowa account and copy the link. The “automatic email” link will not work for Healthcare users. When would I use this?
- Use for files and folders when sharing internally with other UI people in the Iowa Domain.
- Use with Healthcare users if the document is sensitive. Select their Iowa Domain account, copy link, and send from your email client (e.g. Outlook).
Specific people: Grant permission only to the people you list. This link will only work for users who have a Microsoft account (either at another institution using O365 or a personal Microsoft account such as outlook.com, live.com or Hotmail.com). You cannot forward this link. When would I use this?
- Use for files and folders that are sensitive.
- Use if you do not want anyone to forward your link.