Windows PC Instructions
NOTE: The old method of typing a Server Name in the Remote Desktop Connection client no longer works. Instead, a connection needs to be configured in the RemoteApp and Remote Desktop Connections Control Panel applet. The old method will result in a connection error.
Prerequisites: Check the Prerequisites section on the main RRDS support page regarding the following:
- RRDS access for your account
- DUO Two-Factor Authentication
- VPN access for connections off campus.
- Open the Windows Control Panel. In the upper right corner, where it says "View by:", select "Large icons". This will show all of the available Control Panel applets. In Control Panel, open "RemoteApp and Remote Desktop Connections".
- On the left side, click "Access RemoteApp and desktops.
- Enter the following path in the indicated field: https://rrds.uiowa.edu/rdweb/feed/webfeed.aspx and Click Next. Click Next on the following screen.
- You will be asked for your credentials. Enter the username and password for which you've been granted access to RRDS. Check the box next to "Remember my credentials" to save your credentials for this connection.
- After authenticating, you will see this screen. There should be 1 Desktop Available. Click Next.
- This is how the connection should appear in the RemoteApp and Remote Desktops Connections control panel applet.
- There should now be an icon in the START menu under the folder "Research Remote Desktop Services" called "RRDS (Research Remote Desktop Services). You may also search for "RRDS" from the START menu for this icon. Use this icon to launch a connection to RRDS.
- RRDS now uses DUO Two-Step Authentication. This added security measure helps keep your data safe. After you launch a connection to RRDS, this screen will display and (if you have configured Duo Two-Step Authenication) your configured device should ring. Answer the call and hit any key to complete authentication. You will be logged into a desktop.