Zoom currently does not offer the ability to have Closed Captioning without the use of 3rd party software or appointing yourself or one of your meeting co-hosts/participants to make them.
To use Closed Captioning during a meeting, follow the steps below:
- Log into https://uiowa.zoom.us
- Click on Settings
- Scroll down to the 'In Meeting (Advanced)' section
- Make sure Closed captioning is enabled (it will show a blue slider)
- Start your meeting
- Click the 'Closed Caption' button
- Click 'Assign a participant to type,' 'I will type,' or 'Copy the API token'
- Click 'Copy the API token' if using 3rd party software and paste that into the appropriate area of the software you are using
You may also create a cloud recording of your Zoom meeting and allow UI Capture to create Closed Captions. To do so, after the meeting has starting, click the Record button and then pick 'Record to the Cloud.' After the meeting has completed, you will receive an email when the video has processed. You can then find your recording by logging into https://uicapture.hosted.panopto.com/. Next you can follow the steps at https://support.panopto.com/s/article/ASR-Generated-Captions to have UI Capture generate Automatic Speech Recognition captions.