1. Is Zoom appropriate to use with HIPAA data?
- Zoom encrypts communication among the participants in a Zoom meeting.
- This provides appropriate protection for Personal Health Information (PHI).
- For additional guidelines on using Zoom with PHI, please see https://itsecurity.uiowa.edu/resources/everyone/zoom-security-and-privacy.
2. Who is eligible to use Zoom?
- Current licensing with Zoom is for academic, research, and scholarly activities as well as employees with a primary appointment at the University of Iowa.
3. What are the alternatives if I can't currently use Zoom?
Skype for Business is licensed for all employees and provides similar functionality to Zoom and encrypts communication across the internet to provide protection for PHI. Additional information about Skype can be found here.