The Qualtrics Offline App is an application available for iOS and Android devices, which allows you to administer surveys on your mobile device without an Internet connection. Responses can be collected in the field on your mobile device, and then uploaded back into Qualtrics as soon as you have an Internet connection. This app is available for iPad, iPhone, and Android tablets and smartphones.
Due to the sensitive nature of the data collected in the app, Qualtrics requires the following before installing the app:
- that your device runs iOS 6 or greater, or Android 4.04 or greater,
- that your device has either the App Store or Google Play store installed, and
- that our device is not jailbroken
In order to download and install the Qualtrics Offline App, there are a couple of steps you'll need to follow:
- PART A: Obtain an API token,
- PART B: Download the app, and
- PART C: Configure the app.
Please read the instructions in each section carefully before proceeding. If you run into problems with any of the steps below, please see the Need Assistance section at the bottom of this article for support contact information.
PART A: Obtain an API token
The API token is needed during PART C below. The following steps will help you obtain the token.
- Log into your Qualtrics account at https://uiowa.qualtrics.com.
- Click the silhouette in the upper right corner of your account, then choose Account Settings:
- Click Qualtrics Ids:
- If there is already an API token listed (circled in the photo below), select & copy the token for step 5 below.
If there is not an API token listed, click the Generate link to receive a token. Then select & copy the token.
Warning: If there is already an API token listed for you, do not generate another one.
- Paste the token you copied (in step 4) into a new email message, and send the email to yourself (you will need this token in PART C below).
PART B: Download the Qualtrics Offline App
To download the Offline App, follow the steps below:
- For iPhones or iPads: Go to the iTunes App Store
For Android devices: Go to the Google Play Store
- Search for "Qualtrics" and download the Qualtrics Surveys app.
PART C: Configure the app for Single Sign-on (SSO)
Now that the Offline App is downloaded, you will need to configure the app following the steps below.
Logging in to the Offline Surveys app requires an active internet connection. Once you’ve logged in and downloaded surveys you need, you’ll be able to go offline while collecting responses.
- Open the Qualtrics Surveys app on your phone or device.
Note: If you are not presented with the Settings screen click the grey cog symbol in the upper right corner to pen the Settings section, as shown in the photo below.
- Triple-tap on the user silhouette to view the hidden fields.
- Enter the following information into the appropriate fields, as shown in the image below:
- Username = HawkID@uiowa.edu#uiowa
- Password = leave blank
- Datacenter URL = leave blank
- API Token = copy the API token from the email you sent yourself in PART A above, and paste it into this field (making sure you do not include any spaces before/after the token)
Please Note: Your Username includes your Hawk ID and organizational information, so if your Hawk ID is jdoe, your complete username for the Offline App would be: email@example.com#uiowa
Some accounts have difficulty logging in due to the number of surveys in the account. If your account has over 100 surveys, you are at risk. You’ll typically see an error message stating, “API Error: We were unable to retrieve data from our servers. Please ensure that you have a good internet connection and correct account permissions.”
If you have questions or have problems downloading, configuring or using the Qualtrics Offline App, please contact Qualtrics Support directly at 800-340-9194 (or via email or chat). Free technical support is available 24/7 directly from the award winning support team at Qualtrics, per our license agreement.
The information on this page was taken from the following Qualtrics support article: Setting up the Offline App.