Check if Skype for Business is Downloaded to Your Desktop
If you cannot find the Skype for Business 2016 client as a desktop app on your machine, please contact your local IT support person.
- From the Taskbar, open the Windows Start menu.
- Within the Start menu, begin searching by typing Skype for Business.
- Any related Skype for Business items will populate within your search results.
- Confirm that the Skype for Business 2016 desktop app is listed within the results.
- From the Finder, open the Applications menu.
- Within the Applications menu, scroll through the alphabetically listed applications.
- Confirm that the Skype for Business desktop app is listed within the results.
Log Into Your Skype for Business Desktop Client
Ensure that you are using Skype for Business and not Skype (for consumers).
- Windows workstations should automatically log into Skype for Business using the account credentials of the workstation that you are currently on.
- If you experience trouble logging in automatically, please manually enter your Sign-in Address & Password.
- Sign-in Address = University of Iowa Email Address in the format shown (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Update Your Contact Card Information Through UI Employee Self Service
Changes will be reflected in the University Global Address List as well as your Skype for Business Contact Card.
- Open Employee Self Service by navigating to HRIS.uiowa.edu.
- Log in using your HawkID and Password.
- Next, select the tab marked Personal.
- Click on the link labeled Name/Address/Phone Change.
- Enter your personal office number in the field marked Office Phone.
- Select Submit Address Update.
- The change may not be immediate and can take up to 24 hours to appear within your client.
ITS Recommended Skype for Business Devices
Any preferences for other devices listed on the Devices and Purchasing page will need to be paid for by the user's college or department.
Standard Skype for Business Device
- Plantronics Blackwire C320-M
- The University of Iowa may provide you with our standard recommended Skype for Business headset.
Alternative Skype for Business Devices
- To ensure the best user experience, all devices must be optimized for Microsoft Skype for Business.
- Please work with your local IT support staff regarding the purchasing needs of your college or department.
Skype for Business Training & Support
Find instructional articles, video tutorials, and classroom training opportunities.
- Skype for Business Essentials: Client, Contacts & Communication
- Advanced Skype for Business: Telephony & Unified Messaging
- Microsoft's Skype for Business Help Center
- UI Learning & Development Classroom Training Sign-up