Mail-enabled groups are used when you want to have email messages sent to all members of the group instead of to a single mailbox (Microsoft 365 shared account) If you want a mailbox that will send and receive messages that multiple users will access, please fill out the Faculty-Staff - Shared-Departmental Account Request form (NOTE: DO NOT create an AD object first, we will do that when creating the shared account)
If you would like to have a mail-enabled group, create the group first using the naming conventions below, then submit the request form. Note: the group must be a Universal group.
NOTE: if you are using a group for permissions to an Microsoft 365 resource or shared account, it must be mail-enabled.
Naming Conventions for mail-enabled groups:
- Must be a universal group
- Must contain at least one hyphen character. This cannot be the first or last character.
- Must start with an abbreviation for the Department, Organization, or Program name followed by a hyphen
- e.g., ITS-Help-Desk; VPR-ResearchGrants
- No spaces or special characters.
- If being used for permissions to a shared mailbox or resource, we recommend the name match the name of the shared account/resource with an ending identifier
- e.g., its-lc100-calendargrp or its-helpdesk-emailgrp
- Please leave the following identifiers for ITS email team use: SA-; -SG ; RES-