Pingdom is a commercial cloud based monitoring offering. Pingdom functions by regularly pinging websites to check whether the site is accessible to the Internet.
Basic features of Pingdom are:
- Uptime Monitoring: Test your sites availability from around the world.
- Alerting: Alerting for when the monitored service is down. Flexible distribution of alerts (free SMTP and a small charge for SMS alerts).
- Page Speed Monitoring: Examine and optimize the load performance of your websites critical pages.
- Real User Monitoring (RUM): Enhance your site with performance data from actual site visitors.
- Transaction Monitoring: Help ensure your most vital site interactions function smoothly.
- Pingdom can monitor certain email ports (SMTP, IMAP, POP), network services (TCP/UDP ports, ping, DNS), and web sites.
The Pingdom Test Tool will give you results on a given website. You have the option of selecting one of 7 locations to run the test from.
Live Map of the Internet from over 700,000 Pingdom users worldwide.
- Pingdom can only monitor GSA (global scope/Internet facing) systems.
- ITS is paying for a limited license of Pingdom for internal use. ITS can add additional users under our existing license but may move to a charge back model if usage goes beyond certain thresholds.
- Pingdom monitoring is configured and supported by the group requesting monitoring, not by ITS Enterprise Infrastructure. ITS-EI is using the product for a select set of critical services only. It can be used on co-lo, co-man or ITS-EI managed servers.
To get started with Pingdom, email the ITS-EI-TPS team.