OneDrive for Business: OneDrive for Business is part of Office 365. It is cloud storage for storing YOUR files and occasional collaboration. Think of it as your Home Drive in the cloud. It is available from anywhere, backed up through versioning and a recycle bin, and allows sensitive data to be stored.
Important facts about OneDrive:
- For faculty and staff, OneDrive and Home Drive files go away immediately after you leave the University.
- Students have access to OneDrive files for 2 years following graduation.
- If you share a file or folder, then leave the University, the sharing link will remain in place for 6 months. Then all files and folders are deleted.
- Each OneDrive account has 1 TB of storage.
- Files names are currently limited to 400 characters.
- You can retrieve a deleted file from the Recycle Bin for 93 days.
- Upload size for files is 250 GB.
- Use OneDrive as a Home Drive replacement.
- Start fresh! Think of your Home Drive as an old filing cabinet that you have had for 20 years. Only copy what you need.
- If you do decide to copy everything over, copy one folder at a time to avoid sync issues.
- Keep folder and file names short and direct.
- Do not go down more than 2-3 levels for folders.
- Share only when necessary.
- Do not sync data to a home computer. Use a browser and connect via office365.uiowa.edu.
- Be sure to put departmental business in a departmental shared drive or SharePoint Online site.
- If you leave the University or transfer to a new role, download departmental data and give it to your supervisor.
- If you leave the University, notify those you have shared with. Transfer the file or folder to someone else if necessary.