As of May 16, 2019, UI Anywhere VPN users are required to use Two-Step Login to verify and complete their VPN connections. See additional instructions below.
AnyConnect is a client that is installed on your home computer or laptop. After connecting with the AnyConnect client, you can access campus resources and use them as though you were on campus.
If you have already installed the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client, view instructions on how to connect.
To download and install the Cisco AnyConnect Virtual Private Network (VPN) client from the ITS Software Download site:
- Log in to the ITS Software Download site or visit https://vpn.uiowa.edu if you do not have access to this site.
- Select Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client.
- Click on the appropriate installer for your operating system to download the installer file.
- When the download is complete,
- For Windows installs, double-click the .msi installer file and follow the on screen instructions to install the client.
- For Mac installs, double-click the .dmg image file, then double-click the .pkg file to install the client.
- After the client is installed, launch the client (Start>All Programs>Cisco folder on a PC or Applications>Cisco folder on a Mac). The first time you launch the client, you may need to enter the server name vpn.uiowa.edu, then click Connect (Windows) or Select (Mac).
- Log in with your HawkID and passphrase to connect to the UI Anywhere Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Authenticating your connection with Two-Step Login
As of May 16, 2019, UI Anywhere VPN connections require Two-Step Login authentication. Authenticating with push notifications to the Duo Mobile app is the easiest, fastest, and least-expensive method (the university pays fees for phone and text authentications).
If you have the Duo Mobile app installed and configured, follow the instructions above. You'll see a "Second Password:" field—use this field to enter your preferred authentication method.
Enter "push" (without the quotation marks) to receive a push notification to the Duo Mobile app, or review complete instructions and alternative authentication methods.
If you don't have the Duo Mobile app installed and push notifications enabled, review instructions for swithing to push.