NOTE: Be sure to follow all of the steps below - you must print your request and approval form and obtain the appropriate signatures.
Exception -- IRB research mailings will use Workflow so you do not need to obtain signatures.
Once you have composed your message and are ready to submit it, you can begin the mass mail process. It is recommended you allow 7 work days for the request to be approved.
- Open Request for Mass E-mail - login with your Hawkid and Hawkid password. (NOTE: Do not use Internet Explorer)
- Click the +Create New Massmail button.
- Fill out the request form and make sure to complete every field. If you are copying/pasting from Word (or similar program), we recommend pasting as plain text and do the formatting in the massmail request itself. Otherwise, you could end up with special characters when you don't want them.
- Choose the correct category for your massmail request (e.g., Research Recruitment, Departmental Info, etc.)
- The Earliest and Latest send date fields default to current date. You can change the dates as needed (Microsoft Edge users be sure to click the checkmark to save any changes).
- Provide a valid @uiowa.edu email address in the FROM, Reply-to and Requestor Email fields - NOTE: @healthcare.uiowa.edu addresses will NOT work
- Be sure to click the Step Two: Population tab to choose to whom the message will be sent (e.g., All Staff, All Faculty, Staff and Students, All Students, etc.)
- If you are sending to Faculty, be sure to read the Provost's Office Guidelines for Mass E-mails To and From Faculty
- IRB Research mailings -- see Mass Email FAQ for IRB information
- If you get any sort of error (e.g., missing fields) then be sure to verify that all of the information is correct, especially the Earliest and Latest send dates and time.
- If you are inviting people to an event and/or meeting, you must click Yes to the "Is this message inviting people to a meeting or an event?" and fill in the appropriate contact information to include the UI Accessibility Statement (see https://opsmanual.uiowa.edu/community-policies/disability-protection-policy-and-accessibility-statement/accessibility-statement)
- Click the Submit Massmail Request button at the bottom of the Request Form. (Research/IRB mailings - proceed to step 9)
- Print your submitted request
a) The request will display on the screen - open the request.
b) Click Print at the top of the screen.
c) Expand the Administrative Information section to display additional information needed for approvals
d) Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Print Email. Complete the print using your normal actions.
e) You will need to attach the printout to the Massmail Approval Form.
- Print the Massmail Approval Form
- Obtain the appropriate signatures. Start with Section 1 (Dean, Director, Departmental Executive Officer).
* If you plan to send multiple mailings, see Requesting Approval for Multiple Mailings for additional information.
* Student groups should start with Center for Student Involvement and Leadership (CSIL) - 157 IMU.
- For Section 3, the approving department will sign the approval form and if needed, route to the next approver (if more than one signature is needed). They will then send the signed Approval Form, along with the printed copy of the Request Form, to the ITS E-Mail Team (7 WORK days BEFORE the message send date is recommended). Mailing address and fax numbers are listed below.
- If your mailing is approved and you want to send to a selected group of faculty and/or staff, please contact your departmental HR representative to submit a Web Query to obtain the list of University ID #'s (8 characters). Send the file of University ID #'s, one per line, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a reference to the subject of the mailing, the requestor name as entered on the request form and the ITS Message ID shown on the request form.
- After the ITS Enterprise Communications team receives the Approval Form, we will generate a test message. Review the test message carefully and then notify the ITS Enterprise Communications team that the message is ok to send or if there are changes. Note: Minor corrections, spelling, and line breaks are allowed. Corrections must be specifically listed. We manually make the edits so must know the specific change needed and what paragraph, sentence, words, etc. Major changes may require resubmitting for approval.
- Once you ok the test message, the message will be queued to send to the target audience on the specified date.
- You will receive a copy of the message when it is sent.
- After the message is sent, you will receive a log file indicating the number of recipients and time/date sent.
Return completed forms to:
ITS Enterprise Communications Team
re: Mass E-Mail Request
Iowa City, IA 52242
Fax: 335-5505 ATTN: ITS Enterprise Communications Team
If you have additional questions after reviewing the above steps, contact the ITS E-mail Team (email@example.com) for assistance.
NOTE: If you accidentally submit the message with the wrong category and your message should be Research Recruitment instead of the one you chose, you will need to re-submit the massmail request. You can clone the message you first submitted and change the information if you don't want to re-type your information.
- Choose “Clone From Template”
- Select the message you want to clone
- Click Select
- Change the information (Message Category – to Research Recruitment), fill in the required IRB fields
- In the Additional information field, let us know to delete the first request.
- Click Submit Massmail Request. This will create the new request and send the request to IRB for approval.