If your mobile device is lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised, you can use Remote Security Administration to issue a remote wipe command for your device from Office 365 Outlook Web Access (OWA). This protects your identity and sensitive data by removing the information from your device. It is also a good practice to wipe a device that you are no longer using. Issuing a remote wipe command will remove all synchronized information and personal settings from the device and return it to its original factory settings. This procedure applies to, but is not limited to, any iPhone, iPad, iTouch, Android, and Windows Mobile devices that are configured to synchronize with an Office 365 mailbox. This feature is provided for the convenience of Office 365 account users. ITS will never use this feature without the consent of the user.
For Outlook App users only -- the remote wipe feature only wipes Outlook data -- it does not reset the phone to its original factory settings.
Office 365 Instructions:
- Log into Office 365 with your HawkID and HawkID password
- Click Outlook
- Click Settings (gear icon)
- Select View all Outlook settings
- In the left navigation pane, click General and choose Mobile devices
- Select the device you want to wipe
- Click Wipe all Data icon and then click Yes when you're prompted
- When the wipe operation is completed, you should remove the device completely. To do this, click Delete, and then Yes when you're prompted.
Note: Since it’s customary to immediately cut off data network access when a device is lost or stolen, the exiled device will never be able to receive its wipe command. Be sure to issue the wipe command before you contact your carrier to turn off data services. Android phones using a product like Touchdown may only erase synced data instead of returning the device to its original factory settings.
Remote wipe will only remove data from the device selected in step 5. Your Office 365 account itself will not be changed.