Instructions for Getting Connected to ResNet (Wired Internet Connection):
Note: The lights have been administratively disabled on the router boxes in the dorm - lights will not flash to indicate that you are connected successfully.
- If you are using a laptop, make sure you turn off your wireless networking.
- Find the router in your dorm room. This is usually a white box mounted on the wall (see image below).
- Note: Petersen Hall residents will find data jacks directly in the wall with no router box.
- Connect one end of your Ethernet cable to your computer and the other end to one of the data ports (it looks like a phone jack) located on the bottom of the router. Note: Only blue and red ports, E1, E2, and E3, are active).
- Verify that you have internet connection.
What devices can and cannot be connected to ResNet?
Students are able to connect computers, gaming consoles, smart TVs, and other media devices to ResNet. If these devices do not have wired ports, they can be connected to UI DeviceNet. Find more information on UI DeviceNet.
Wireless routers or wireless/network printers are not allowed on the ResNet system.