Installing SAS® 9.4 for Windows 7 and Windows 8 at The University of Iowa
Key considerations before installing:
- The new version of SAS 9.4 (TS1M1) will work on 32-bit or 64-bit Operating Systems Directions for checking what type of Operating System you have can be found here: http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/102333
- SAS 9.4 can only be installed on Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of Windows 7; Pro or Enterprise versions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
- SAS requires 10 - 15 GB of hard drive space.
- This installation will take at least 3 hours to complete after you have downloaded and decompressed the installation media.
- It is strongly recommended that you download the installation files from a wired network connection - using a wireless connection can dramatically increase your download time (24 hours or more has been reported by some users) and the files can be corrupted or damaged when downloaded so slowly.
- If you are migrating from a previous version of SAS, please read all vendor documentation and follow the recommended steps for your current version. http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/utility/upgrade.html
- Make sure to back up any data files before installing or upgrading.
- Supported Web Browsers for this version of SAS are:
Internet Explorer 9: Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit web browsers)
Internet Explorer 10: Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit web browsers)
Internet Explorer 11: Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit web browsers)
Firefox 6 and up: Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit web browsers)
Chrome 15 and up: Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit web browsers)
BEFORE YOU INSTALL:
- If you have not reviewed them yet, please refer to the System Requirements.
- Review the appropriate requirements for the SAS Installer account:
- For Windows, the installer account must have Administrator rights (user must be a local administrator on the machine and/or a member of the administrators group.
- Check compatibility of your computer operating system. SAS 9.4 runs on the professional, ultimate, and enterprise versions of Windows 7 and the Pro and Enterprise versions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
- Determine if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the operating system. SAS 9.4 is available in a 32-bit edition or a 64-bit edition. If you have the wrong edition, contact the ITS Campus Software Program at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an exchange.
- Make sure you have sufficient storage space on your computer. SAS 9.4 requires at 10 - 15 gigabytes of disk space including documentation. If you are licensed for the Teaching and Research version of SAS, installing all components of the program requires over 15 gigabytes of disk space including documentation.
- Close all open software applications and disable any virus scanning software on your computer.
- Make sure that your computer is connected to a wired network connection. Downloading the installation files from a wireless connection is not recommended as these files are very large and require a significant amount of time and bandwidth to download. If you get an error at any point during your download, we strongly recommend that you start the download over again.
For complete details on system requirements for SAS 9.4 please visit the documentation prepared by SAS on SAS System Requirements Windows x64 or SAS System Requirements Windows.
PERFORM YOUR SOFTWARE INSTALLATION
1. Check your computer system to verify that you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit enterprise version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.
2. Make sure your copy of Microsoft Windows is up-to-date; make sure that all critical Windows updates have been installed. You can find out if all your critical Windows updates have been installed by going to Windows Update and checking for available updates.
3. When you download the SAS files from the ITS Software Download site, the files will be compressed as rar files. Each set of the rar files (or disk) will be saved to separate folders by default – do not change this – it is important to keep each set in its own directory with the default names suggested as each set of files represents a disk. After you have downloaded the files, you will need to use a program such as WinRAR or WinZIP to decompress these files so that you can install the software. Once you have selected and installed a software program on your computer to decompress the rar files, choose one of the folders and extract, or decompress all the files in that folder to another folder on your desktop. As you decompress each set of files, use the default folder names suggested by the extraction software.
NOTE: If you have purchased the Teaching and Research version of SAS, you will need to download 8 sets of rar files (or 8 disks) for 2014-2015 and 7 sets of rar files (or 7 disks) for 2015-2016. The Administrative version of SAS is 5 sets of rar files (or 5 disks).
4. To create your SAS Software Depot, use the SAS Deployment Wizard on your media.
5. If you are modifying an existing SAS deployment, perform a backup before you install your new SAS software.
6. Back up the existing SASHOME directory (for example, C:\Program Files\SAS).
7. To install your software, use the SAS Deployment Wizard in your SAS Software Depot and follow the steps outlined below.
8. Double-click the
The following screen will display:
NOTE: If you are installing any workstation version of SAS, this part of the installation process will take 30 minutes or more as the installer checks your system to determine what can be installed on your machine. The actual installation of this software can take 2 or more hours to complete. You must install what you purchased as the code you have been provided will only work with the version you have purchased.
9. You will then get the option to select your installation language. Click OK after you select your language.
10. Select “Install SAS software” in the End User Tasks section and then click next.
11. If you are installing SAS 9.4 and already have SAS 9.3 or SAS 9.2 on your system, you should choose a different location to install SAS. For example, SASHome2. If you are upgrading from the previous version of SAS 9.4, or doing the first installation of SAS on a computer, you can leave the location as is and click “Next.”
12. The next option is to select the type of deployment you want to perform. You should select "Install SAS Foundation and Related Software” and then click "Next."
13. The next option is to select which SAS components you wish to install. You will need to select which of licensed SAS titles you want to install. The SAS Licensed Titles are listed here: http://its.uiowa.edu/campus-software-program/sas under Titles Included. If you select all available options, you will need to acquire additional licensing that is not included in our standard SAS license package. Click Next to continue the installation.
14. If you are installing the 64-bit version of the program, you will next be presented with an option for which Mode you want to install SAS Enterprise Guide. If you are using a 64-bit Operating System, we recommend installing 64-bit Native Mode. Click next to continue after making your selection.
15. The next screen verifies the SAS products you will be installing, the default array of SAS Foundation products is highly recommended. If you select all available options, you will need to acquire and install 3rd party software unsupported by ITS before completing your installation. Click next to continue.
16. The next screen verifies where your installation files are located - by default this will point directly to the place where you started the installation in Step 8 above. This is the decompressed download of disk image one on your computer. This screen also provides verification information on what you have chosen to install and when it will expire. Click Next to continue.
17. The next option is to select which languages you wish to install. Detailed information on the disk space required for each language option can be found in the SAS System Requirements Windows x64 or SAS System Requirements Windows documents. Please be aware that installing more languages will add to the required disk space needed. To remove all options except English, click “Clear All”. Click Next once you have completed your language selections.
18. The next option is to select your Regional Settings for SAS which should be English (United States). Click next to continue.
19. The next option is to select the default product that will be used to open SAS file types that are shared by more than one product. Choose your preferred option. Click Next to continue.
20. During the next step in the installation, a tool will run to determine whether or not you have enough disk space to complete the installation that have just configured. Once this is done, click Next to continue…
21. The installation will begin as soon as you click the “Start” button below. During the installation, you may be prompted to provide additional disks or point the installer to the directories where you have saved the other disk image files. When this happens, select the requested folder from your desktop where you extracted the rar files in step 3 above. The installer may fail to recognize names other than the default name recommended during extraction. The installer will not recognize other folder configurations, for example, if you extract all the rar files to a single folder, the installer will not be able to find the files it needs during the software installation. Any time the installer asks for a different disk, choose the appropriate folder from your desktop.
22. After the installation is complete, your screen should look like the picture below. Click next to continue…
23. Your installation is almost complete, you need to select a support option at this point. Select Send and then click Next to continue.
24. The installation is now complete and you are provided with links to click for further information and resources. Click Finish to complete the installation and close the installer.