Install the latest, full versions of Microsoft Office on up to five personal devices with Office ProPlus. Office ProPlus is part of the Office 365 suite of services offered free of charge to all Office 365 University of Iowa students, faculty, and staff.
Before you install Office ProPlus, please take note of the following things:
- Make sure to uninstall/remove any previous versions of Microsoft Office on your device. Failure to do so may result in software conflicts on your device.
- If you do not connect within 30 days, Office ProPlus goes into reduced functionality mode until you connect to the internet again and your status is verified (at which time all features become available again).
- Office ProPlus is specifically for personal use (personal or home computers or devices). University faculty and staff should continue to work with their IT staff to deploy and manage Microsoft Office on University Devices. If you are unsure which version of Microsoft Office to install, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 4-4357.
- Go to https://office365.uiowa.edu and log in with your HawkID and password, as shown below:
- In the top right-hand corner choose the settings “gear icon” and then choose Office 365 Settings
- From the Office 365 Settings page, select Software.
- From the resulting page, click the Install button at the bottom (under Office software)
- On the resulting page, click the Run button.
- When prompted, click Yes to allow the program to install.
Office will begin to download and install on your machine. A message will then appear in the bottom right-hand corner saying "Office is installing in the background". Note: Microsoft Office is now available to use, but your computer must remain connected to the internet to continue downloading the full suite of software.
- An introduction tool will then launch, welcoming you to the new version of Office. Click Next, and then continue through the introduction tool (providing requested information when prompted). Note: The University of Iowa does have a license for Office 365, so you can connect your Microsoft Office suite by logging in. If you wish to do so, click the Sign In button when prompted.
- When prompted for your email address, enter your personal firstname.lastname@example.org address, then click Next.
- When prompted for your password, enter your HawkID password and click Sign in.
- You will be presented with a welcome screen to explain OneDrive. Select a personal background, and click Next.
You will receive a message telling you "We're getting things ready" with an option to learn more. The installation is now complete - click All Done! Microsoft Office is now available in your start menu.
1. Go to https://office365.uiowa.edu and log in with your HawkID and password, as shown below:
2. In the top right-hand corner choose the settings “gear icon” and then choose Office 365 Settings
3. From the Office 365 Settings page, select Software.
4. From the resulting page, click the Install button at the bottom (under Office software)
5. After the download has completed, open Finder, go to Downloads, double-click Microsoft_Office_2016_Installer.pkg.
6. Click Continue when prompted to proceed with the installation process
7. Click Agree to agree to the license agreement, then click Install to continue the installation process
8. When the installation is complete, you will receive a message saying "The installation was successful". Click Close to complete the installation.
9. You will then be prompted to activate Office 2016 for Mac. Select Sign in to an existing Office 365 subscription.
10. When prompted for your email address, enter your personal email@example.com address, then click Next.
11. In the resulting window, enter your Hawk ID password and click Sign In
12. If prompted, enter your name, and answer the personal preference questions.
The installation is now complete - click All Done!
Microsoft Office is now available in your Applications folder.
1. Visit the Apple App Store and search for any of the Microsoft Office applications you are insterested in. Install them as normal. Available applications include:
- Microsoft Word for iPad
- Microsoft Excel for iPad
- Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad
- Microsoft OneNote for iPad
2. After installing one of the Microsoft Office applications, a message will appear asking you to "Sign in now" Choose Sign In.
3. A message asking for your email address will appear. Enter your personal firstname.lastname@example.org and click Next.
4. Leave your email address as email@example.com and enter your password. Select Keep me signed in to avoid future need for login, then click Sign In.
5. Choose if you’d like to send information to Microsoft and click Continue.
6. Click Start Using Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote
Note: It may be necessary to repeat the activation steps for the other Microsoft Office iPad applications.