There are several ways to make a call with Skype for Business:
- If the user is in your favorites or other saved contacts, you can right click on their contact and click Call.
- If the user is not in your contacts list or favorites, you'll have to search in the bar that reads, "Find someone or dial a number". Type in the user's last name or HawkID.
- If you are enabled for Skype for Business Voice, you should see a third tab (an icon of the 10-digit dial pad). Navigate to this tab and dial in any number. For off-campus numbers, be sure to dial out with "9"
- For an incoming call, a message will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen. This pop-up image is called a toast.
- You'll want to click anywhere in the blue area to answer the call. To ignore the call, click Ignore
To end a call, it is important that you click the red Hang Up button in the call window. Although closing the window will typically end the call as well, this is not the case for Skype Meetings and is considered best practice to end calls with the red Hang Up icon.
- In the middle of the call window, click the Hold button
- Once on hold, a new window will appear with the option to resume the call
- To transfer a call, find the Transfer button that is in the middle of the call window
- Enter the name of a contact or select another number that you already have saved. Then click Transfer.
- If you are currently in a call, click the button in the upper right of the call window to add another individual.
- Find the individual's name and click OK
If you are not currently in a call but would like to start a call with multiple people follow these steps:
- On the right side of your Skype for Business client window, you'll find a gear icon. To the right of that icon, click the downward arrow.
- Select Meet Now
- In the upper right of the call/meeting window, click the icon to add more individuals. Add whomever is needed to the call and click okay.
To view recent calls and missed messages, find the second tab in the Skype for Business client window.
Near the top of your Skype for Business client window (underneath the 4 tabs), find the bar that reads, "Find someone or dial a number". Type in the user's last name or HawkID.
When in a call or a meeting, if you are not actively speaking, it is advised to mute your microphone.
- When on a call, find and click the blue microphone icon to the left of the red hang-up button to mute yourself. Repeat the procedure to unmute yourself.
- When in a meeting, find and click the blue microphone icon that is typically the second of four icons (video enable, mute enable, presenter tools, hang-up).
- In the Skype for Business client window, find your profile image in the upper left of the window.
- Beside the image and under your name, you should see "Available", "In A Meeting", etc
- Click the down arrow and set your status to Do Not Disturb
See this Lynda Video about setting privacy relationships up to control who has access to reach you.