Below are the steps to follow when disposing/removing a printer from production
Please note: The document https://itsecurity.uiowa.edu/services/computer-data-and-media-disposal-policy-training drives most of the steps below. ISPO is the authority and has final say on proper data removal. Please contact them if you have any sensitive data questions.
- Log into the web interface of the device you are planning to remove/dispose of.
- Look to do a factory reset to remove all device information.
- This can be found in different locations depending on the make and model
- If sensitive documents were stored on the machine, contact the support company and ask them for assistance on deletion of data.
- Contact Surplus to have equipment removed.
- Follow up with ECM (ITS-ECM-HELP@uiowa.edu) to have the print queue removed if it will no longer be used. You can go to the page Printer and MFD Removal.