Using the AnyConnect VPN Client to Access Home and Shared Drives from Off-Campus Macs (using Non-Domain or Personal Macs) (e.g. Map a Drive)
To access Files@Iowa (Home H: and/or Shared L: data) from off campus you must first connect using the VPN. Install the AnyConnect (VPN) client on your computer, then when you are off campus you can log on to the AnyConnect client and access your home and shared drives as if you were on campus. You may then add these file locations to your dock for easy access.
If you haven't installed the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client yet, please click here for directions on how to install and use the AnyConnect VPN client.
Connecting to Home and Shared Drives Through the Finder
NOTE: You can manually connect to your Home and Shared drives and then drag the folder to your dock for easy access to your files. The next time you access the network, you can click on the folder in the dock and authenticate to access your files.
- Connect to the VPN using the Cisco AnyConnect client.
- Under the Go menu select Connect to Server.
- When the server connection box comes up, type in the name of the server you are trying to access using the smb protocol and click on Connect.
- To connect to your personal network storage space (e.g. H:), enter smb://home.iowa.uiowa.edu/hawkid(replace "hawkid" with your own Hawk ID).
- To connect to your shared work files (e.g. L:), enter smb://udss.iowa.uiowa.edu/deptname or cifs://udss.iowa.uiowa.edu/deptname (replace "deptname" with your department name on the file system; if you do not know this name, please contact your local IT support staff or the ITS Help Desk).
- For example, here someone has connected to the ITS shared folder. Drag the "ITS" icon from the Finder to the "Stacks" area on the dock (to the right of the dashed line) for easy access while you're using your Mac.
- Next time you log in to your computer, you can click on the folder in the dock to access your files. (You may still need to authenticate if you are not logged in to the AnyConnect client.
If you have any questions please contact the ITS Help Desk at 319-384-HELP (4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org