To facilitate processing of requests to use the mass e-mail service, the Office of the Provost has set the following guidelines for the sending of messages to and from faculty. The message must:
- be of major importance to faculty
- be of wide interest across the campus (e.g., no department or college lectures)
- be no more than 20 lines (70-character length) including blank lines
- include information (phone and/or e-mail) to enable recipients to contact sender
- not be a "commercial" for a service
If appropriate, it is recommended that the message include a URL referring recipients to a website where more information can be obtained.
As of October 2012, the Provost Office will no longer approve mass e-mails announcing or advertising speakers or lectures.