To facilitate processing of requests to use the Mass Mail service, the Office of the Provost has set the following guidelines for the sending of messages to and from Faculty. The message must:
- be of major importance to Faculty
- be of wide interest across the campus (e.g., no department or college lectures)
- be no more than 20 lines (70-character length) including blank lines
- include information (phone and/or e-mail) to enable recipients to contact sender
- not be a "commercial" for a service
- If you are inviting people to an event and/or meeting, you MUST include the UI Accessibility Statement (see https://opsmanual.uiowa.edu/community-policies/disability-protection-policy-and-accessibility-statement/accessibility-statement)
If appropriate, it is recommended that the message include a URL referring recipients to a website where more information can be obtained.
As of October 2012, the Provost Office will no longer approve mass e-mails announcing or advertising speakers or lectures.