Large Scale Storage (LSS) is a cost-effective and scalable storage solution available to all University of Iowa faculty, staff, departments and researchers.
LSS is useful for:
- storing large files (e.g. videos and images)
- HPC workloads that demand high bandwidth and storage
LSS is approved for the following data classification levels:
- Restricted *
- HIPAA * (SMB/CIFS only)
- Export-Controlled (Please contact email@example.com before putting Export-Controlled data on LSS)
* If you intend to store protected health information (PHI) from UIHC on LSS, you are responsible for obtaining approval from the UIHC Data Governance group. Please submit a request by navigating to the UIHC Data Governance Request Form.
Storage space can be rented on a monthly basis (“shared storage”, the most common LSS usage) or for a fee ITS - Research Services can maintain & support storage nodes purchased by you (“dedicated storage”).
If you are interested in dedicated storage, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before purchasing storage nodes as some conditions and considerations apply.
Benefits of LSS
- 1TB-100TB+ shared space
- Optimized for HPC workloads that demand high bandwidth and storage
- Daily backups and snapshots help recover a deleted file (or a different version of a file) as far back as 30 days, unless other increments are needed
- Replication copies files to a remote site for disaster recovery (optional)
- Access from off campus is available through VPN (UI Anywhere) or Virtual Desktop
LSS does not support complex nested permissions inside a single file share.
No cost storage for faculty
For faculty, a single 5TB share with backups is available upon request at no cost on either LSS or the Research Data Storage Service. Additional space may be purchased at the standard rate.
Support for LSS is available 8am-5pm Monday through Friday. Please email email@example.com.
Past 90 Days
This issue is resolved.
ITS has identified an issue with LSS node lc-rs-storage14 which is impacting Windows and Mac users who are mounting shares on this node.
ITS will perform maintenance at 5pm today to fix this issue.
This issue has been resolved.
Some users may be experiencing connection issues to LSS shared through the RDCS services (data.hpc.uiowa.edu). Research services is investigating this issue.
There will be a maintenance window on the following LSS servers. The affected servers (and all shares on the servers) will be inaccessible during this time.
The problems have been resolved. Please contact the ITS Help Desk if you have any further problems using these services.
All Lindquist Center LSS systems (those that start with lc-) and IDAS Classroom are down.
This issue has been resolved.
ITS is investigating an issue with lc-rs-storage20.hpc.uiowa.edu that is preventing access to LSS shares hosted there.
The issue has been resolved.
File shares at \\itf-lss01.iowa.uiowa.edu are currently not able to be mounted by Windows clients. The workaround is to use \\itf-lss01 or \\172.30.13.51.
ITS staff have resolved the issue.
Users trying to connect to the ITF-LSS01 server are experiencing connection issues.
ITS staff are currently working to fix the problem.