The simplest way to migrate your data from your Home Drive to OneDrive for Business is to copy folders from your Home Drive into your OneDrive sync client. This will automatically sync your data. Your sync client is the blue cloud in the lower right hand corner of your Windows 10 workstation or along the top bar of your Mac. Simply click on the blue cloud and select Open Folder.
If you don't have the sync client or don't want to install the sync client, you can also login to office365.uiowa.edu and upload into OneDrive.
If you want to try to migrate with the SharePoint Migration Tool, the directions are below.
BEFORE BEGINNING: Please do NOT do this unless you are on the campus network or are remoted into a workstation on the campus network.
Microsoft has made it easy to migrate (copy) your files from your Home Drive to OneDrive. Before beginning a migration, please do the following:
- Make sure your Home Drive is mapped (Go to File Explorer and check that H: is mapped). If it is not mapped, follow the instructions here to map your Home Drive.
- Create a new folder in OneDrive called HDrive. You can do this one of two ways:
- Login to Office 365 (office365.uiowa.edu) and select the OneDrive tile. Create a new folder called HDrive.
- Click on the OneDrive sync client (blue cloud in the lower right hand corner) and right click and create a new folder.
- NOTE: If you have never used OneDrive and/or do not have any files located in your OneDrive folder, you can simply copy the files to the main directory without an HDrive folder. This will preserve your Home Drive folder structure in OneDrive.
- Check the OneDrive sync client to ensure that you have the Files On-Demand box checked. This will keep you from filling up your local hard drive.
- Windows: Right click on the blue cloud in the lower right hand corner, select Settings and select the Settings tab.
- Mac: Follow these directions
Once these 2 steps are accomplished, follow the steps below:
- Download the SharePoint Migration Tool (select General Availability).
- Select "Install Here" to install it to your local computer.
- Go to downloads or wherever your browser is set to download files to install the program.
- You should now have a SharePoint Migration Tool icon on your desktop. Double click to start the program.
- At the Sign in prompt, login as HawkID@uiowa.edu. This will take you to the University's HawkID login page for Office 365. You will get a Duo prompt.
- Once logged in, select "Start new migration".
- Select File Share (my content is on my local computer or on a network file share).
- Under the "Select a source" click on the button that says "Choose folder".
- Select the dropdown arrow under "This PC" and select H:"
- Make sure the "Migrate selected folder and folder contents" button is highlighted before selecting Next.
- Select OneDrive as the location to where you are copying data.
- Under "Select OneDrive Destination" make sure it has your HawkID@uiowa.edu in the User Email Address or OneDrive URL box.
- You will see Documents under "Select the location you want to migrate to".
- Click on the down arrow over on the right hand side and select the folder you created earlier in the process (HDrive).
- Please NOTE: This is very important or you could potentially copy over files already in your OneDrive.
- Select Next to Review your settings.
- Make sure your settings look like the image above and select Migrate.
- Once the migration is done, you can save your migration settings.
- Login to office365.uiowa.edu and select the OneDrive tile to see your files or check via the sync client (blue cloud in lower right hand corner).
NOTE: Contact the ITS Help Desk and let them know you are done with your Home Drive. It will be made Read Only.
If you would like your Home Drive migrated to OneDrive and would prefer that an IT person to do it for you, please contact the ITS Help Desk.