We want you to focus on learning while you’re a university student, and, with that in mind, we offer these tips to keep your personal computer operating reliably.
Install those updates! Keeping up with operating system and software updates is a smart way to ensure your computer will perform optimally.
Restart or Shut Down: At least weekly (or whenever your programs tell you to), restart your computer. This provides a “fresh start” and helps to make sure software and security updates are properly installed.
Minimize File Storage on Your Device: Make backup copies of files you are not willing to lose by uploading them to your OneDrive. This is safer than storing to your local drive, to a USB drive, etc.
Use Anti-Virus Software: All computers are susceptible to viruses, spyware, and malware. Protect your computer by installing an antivirus program.
- Suggested Computer Configurations for Students
- Computer Labs and Software Availability
- University Classrooms
- Troubleshooting WiFi Connections
- Software Support and Troubleshooting Service
- Campus Printing
- Request help with Technology
- Backup your computer with OneDrive
- OneDrive (storage) online training
- Networks and Connectivity
- Discounts on computers at the Iowa Hawk Shop
- Buying a computer and local repair options