Friday, July 5, 2019 - 3:26pm
On Tuesday, July 16, ITS will upgrade Lynda.com to LinkedIn Learning. LinkedIn Learning will have the same great content but provide an even more personalized experience.
Upgraded features to explore
LinkedIn Learning is the same online course content you know and love, but with a range of new benefits:
- New look, same content -- LinkedIn Learning offers the same high-quality library of on-demand, expert-led instructional videos as Lynda.com.
- Flexible learning -- Watch instructional videos on any device, on and offline at your convenience.
- User friendly -- Find and view content more quickly and easily with an improved interface.
- Personalized learning -- Curate your experience with trending skills in your field based on your likes and what your colleagues are watching.
What to expect
The upgrade will take place on July 16, 2019. There are a few things you should know before then:
- LinkedIn Learning email -- If you used Lynda.com in the past, you will receive system-generated email from LinkedIn Learning preparing you for the upgrade and to activate your account.
- Lynda.com will be down -- On July 16, 2019, you will not be able to access Lynda.com while your data is being migrated from Lynda.com to LinkedIn Learning. This includes direct access to any Lynda.com courses. We expect the service to be down the entire day.
- Redirect Lynda.com links -- After the upgrade, Lynda.com links will automatically redirect to LinkedIn Learning. However, if you link to Lynda.com in your course content, we recommend changing your links to LinkedIn Learning because the redirects will only be active until the end of 2019.
- Connect your LinkedIn profile (optional) -- Upon activation of your LinkedIn Learning account, you will have the option to connect your LinkedIn profile or create a separate Learning account during activation. If you choose to connect your LinkedIn profile, this will allow for further customization, including course recommendations based on job title, skills, and industry. Linking profiles will also help you discover relevant learning content through your LinkedIn feed.
- Automatic carryover -- Your Lynda.com learning history, account info, and certifications will be waiting for you in LinkedIn Learning.
- Download the mobile app -- With the LinkedIn Learning Mobile app for iOS or Android, you can access all LinkedIn Learning content on the go as soon as the upgrade is complete.
Frequently asked questions
- Who can use LinkedIn Learning?
- Current UI students, faculty, and staff may take any LinkedIn Learning course.
- Will my login change?
- No. Continue using your HawkID and password to log in.
- Is there anything I need to do?
- The first time you log into LinkedIn Learning you’ll be asked if you’d like to connect your LinkedIn profile. This step is optional, and you can continue logging in without connecting your profile.
- For faculty and staff who have stored links to content on Lynda.com, you will need to change your links to reflect the new URLs associated with LinkedIn Learning. The links will redirect for a period of 6 months after the upgrade.
- I got an email from LinkedIn Learning, is this a phish?
- Most likely no. LinkedIn Learning is promoting this transition through various media channels including direct email with active users. If you are contacted this is to be expected. However, like with all email, stay vigilant when handling email from external sources. If you have any questions, please contact the Help Desk.
- Will my history from Lynda.com transfer to LinkedIn Learning?
- Yes. When the upgrade is complete your history, in progress viewing, and bookmarks will be in your new LinkedIn Learning account.
- Why is Lynda.com changing to LinkedIn Learning?
- LinkedIn purchased Lynda.com. This change is part of that acquisition.
- Do I need to be on campus to access my account?
- No. You can access your account from anywhere.
- Can I disconnect my personal LinkedIn profile from my university profile?
- Yes. You can disconnect your profile through your learner profile settings.
- Can I add my LinkedIn Learning Certificates of Completion to my LinkedIn Learning profile?
- Yes. You can add your certificates of completion to the certificate section of your LinkedIn profile to showcase your new skills.
- For more information about the upgrade, visit the LinkedIn Learning website.
- To learn your way around the new platform, watch the How to Use LinkedIn Learning video.