Turnitin has released a major product upgrade that will be available in ICON (Canvas) on May 30th 2017. The new version, called Turnitin Feedback Studio, offers all the functionalities of Turnitin, but with a simplified, more intuitive, and more accessible interface. While the interface for Turnitin will change, the plagiarism detection, grade markup, and peer review functions you used in Turnitin previously will remain the same.
Below are steps for using the new Turnitin settings for an assignment in your ICON course.
1. Log into ICON.
2. Go to your course.
3. Go to Assignments.
4. Click on the + sign for a new assignment. Enter a name and description for the assignment.
5. Scroll down to Submission Type, click the drop down menu, and select External Tool.
6. Click on Find.
7. From the pop-up window, scroll down to Turnitin/Feedback Studio and click on it. Note that if fills in the URL field.
8. Click Select.
9. On the Assignments page, now you’ll see External Tool with a URL selected.
10. Set up the rest of the Assignment as you normally would, and click Save.
To get acquainted with the upgraded Turnitin Feedback Studio and prepare for a successful implementation, you can attend our trainings: https://teach.its.uiowa.edu/events/turnitin-training-sessions
In order to do this upgrade, we will be turning off the legacy Turnitin interface on May 30, 2017. What this means is that if you created a Turnitin assignment using the “Enable Turnitin Submissions” check box, those legacy submissions will no longer be available in Turnitin in ICON. However, the student submissions will still be available in SpeedGrader in ICON.
To request access to originality reports, annotations, and feedback for the aforementioned legacy Turnitin submissions, please fill out this form https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_89aPo4UYM4BbZJP
Attention Summer Instructors:
To avoid losing your Turnitin assignment submissions mid-way through the summer semester, please use the External Tool option with Turnitin when creating assignments before May 30.