Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 10:10am
As you settle into a new semester, Information Technology Services (ITS) invites you to explore and make use of the exciting technology resources and helpful IT services that are available to faculty and staff.
- Research IT Services: The UI has a sizeable high-performance computing (HPC) system supporting a broad range of projects on campus that require large-scale computational capabilities. A second HPC system will become available early next year. ITS is also launching a Research Data Storage Service that is aimed at meeting the storage needs of most researches on campus by providing three terabytes of robust network-accessible storage at no charge to faculty members. For details, please visit http://hpc.uiowa.edu.
- Funds for Teaching with Technology: The Academic Technologies Advisory Council (ATAC) is accepting proposals for the Innovations in Teaching with Technology Awards through Oct. 17. The program supports significant and innovative instructional technology projects with the potential to directly impact student success and retention. Since 2001, over $1 million has been awarded for 64 projects. For details, visit http://its.uiowa.edu/itta/.
- LinkedIn Learning: LinkedIn Learning (previously Lynda.com) is an online training library that provides access to thousands of video tutorials on technology topics ranging from Microsoft Office software to computer programming or photo editing. It is available free of charge to UI students, faculty, and staff affiliated with academics. Just visit the LinkedIn Learning service page to log in.
- Teaching in Active Learning Environments: The UI has several TILE (Transform, Interact, Learn, Engage) classrooms, where a combination of technology and teaching practices create a student-centered, active learning experience as an alternative to lecture-based instruction. ITS and the Center for Teaching offer training for instructors on the foundational concepts and skills supported by the TILE classrooms. For details, visit http://tile.uiowa.edu/content/about-tile.
- IT Security Resources: Learn what you should do to protect yourself from phishing scams and other attacks that could compromise your system security and allow personal or institutional data to fall into the wrong hands. Resources and training are available on the Information Security and Policy Office's "Learn About Security" website: http://learnaboutsecurity.uiowa.edu.
- ITS Help Desk: The Help Desk provides support on a variety of IT topics, including operating systems, software, networking, security, and consulting on IT purchases. You can call 319-384-HELP, e-mail email@example.com, use online chat, or stop by the ITS walk-in area on the second floor of University Capitol Centre. For hours and a map, visit: http://its.uiowa.edu/contact.
- Learning Commons: Stop by the Main Library to check out this brand new tech-infused study space and one-stop academic help center. Features include flexible study space, 100 new computers, a TILE classroom, and a new Food for Thought Cafe with an expanded menu and gourmet coffees. The space is open 24 hours, with the exception of Friday and Saturday nights. Please visit http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/commons for details.
For information on additional IT services and resources, visit http://its.uiowa.edu/services. We hope you find this information helpful and wish you a very successful year!