Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 9:59am
As you settle into a new semester, Information Technology Services (ITS) invites you to explore and make use of the exciting technology resources and helpful IT services that are available to students.
- Learning Commons: Stop by the Main Library to enjoy this brand new tech-infused study space and one-stop academic help center designed especially for students! You can reserve flexible study spaces, have your pick of 100 new computers, and lounge in the new Food for Thought Cafe with an expanded menu and gourmet coffees. The space is open 24 hours, with the exception of Friday and Saturday nights. Additional details are available at http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/commons.
- Office 365: The UI is in the process of migrating student e-mail to Microsoft Office 365 to provide you with much larger mailboxes (25 GB vs. 1 GB), a full portfolio of communication and collaboration tools (including instant messaging, video conferencing, and online meetings), and easily accessible cloud-based file storage. First-year students are already using Office 365. Other students are being migrated throughout the semester, and will be notified in advance. Once migrated to Office 365, you can check e-mail and use a variety of collaboration tools on PCs and mobile devices. Please visit http://its.uiowa.edu/office365 for additional information.
- HawkTools Mobile App: Visit the Apple App Store or Google Play to download this new free app designed just for UI students! It includes: access to mobile versions of ISIS, ICON, and HawkMail, campus dining menus and locations, a way to monitor washers and dryers in residence hall laundries, links to mobile versions of After Class and Hawkeyesports.com for event and athletics news, and a connection to Bongo (Bus on the Go - http://www.ebongo.org) for tracking Cambus and city buses in real-time.
- LinkedIn Learning: LinkedIn Learning (previously Lynda.com) is an online training library that provides access to 900 courses and 100,000 tutorials on technology topics -- everything from Microsoft Office software to computer programming or photo editing. This 24/7 resource is free to all UI students. Just visit the LinkedIn Learning service page to log in.
- IT Security Resources: Learn what you should do to protect yourself from phishing scams and other attacks that could compromise your system security and allow your personal data to fall into the wrong hands. Resources and training are available on the Information Security and Policy Office's "Learn About Security" website:http://learnaboutsecurity.uiowa.edu.
- Microsoft Windows and Office are available to you at no cost under the university's site license. To download these and see what other software is available through the university, visit the ITS software site at http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/software/.
- ITS Help Desk: The Help Desk provides support on a variety of IT topics, including operating systems, software, networking, security, and consulting on IT purchases. You can call 319-384-HELP, e-mail email@example.com, use online chat, or stop by the ITS walk-in area, located on the second floor of University Capitol Centre. For hours and a map, visit http://its.uiowa.edu/contact.
For information on additional IT services and resources, visit http://its.uiowa.edu/services. We hope you find this information helpful and wish you a very successful year!