Cybersecurity is a shared responsibility. Our jobs touch upon cyber, and everyone has a responsibility to ensure we’re doing all we can to keep both university and personal information and systems secure.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month and a good time to reflect on what we can do every day—at work and at home—to stay safe. Here are five tips for enhancing cybersecurity:
- Set strong passwords and change them regularly.
- Keep usernames, passwords, or other computer/website access codes, strong and private.
- Only open email and attachments you are expecting, from people you know.
- Do NOT install or connect personal software or hardware to the university network without permission from your IT support person.
- Make backup copies of all your important work.
- The UI offers several electronic file storage options