These tech tips are for ITS staff only.
How to Request Help
Mike Jenn and Amir Bozorgzadeh are the ETS consultants for ITS. If you need help, use the Tech Services email address
Mail will reach Mike, Amir, and their backup staff if they are unavailable.
Hardware Requests and Transfers
Use this form to request new computers, etc. or if you need to transfer equipment to other ITS staff members https://iowa.sharepoint.com/sites/its/SitePages/inventory.aspx
Configuration Manager and Software Center
Configuration Manager is the software used to maintain staff work computers, and Software Center is the tool you can use to install software, updates, and to check the status of your system. ETS can help adjust when your computer receives updates and how the power settings are managed.
Printer Changes at UCC, effective September 2022
We have simplified the print queues in the 2800 UCC space prior to the space reconfiguration Please use these queues in the new space:
The printers are located in these areas:
Use these "best practices" to keep your computer healthy:
- Reboot periodically - at least once per week, but more often is better.
- Store data on the network (OneDrive, SharePoint, or mapped drives) since these locations are backed up. Locally-stored files can be damaged and lost.
- Connect infrequently-used systems (like a Virtual Machine) to the network at least once per month so it can keep up-to-date with software.
- Connect to the VPN at least once per month while you are off-campus. Connecting weekly is better.
Adobe Software Setup
Adobe software products are tied to your HawkID so individual titles can't be pre-installed. Use these instructions to install your products
If you lose access to your network drives, paste these links into Windows Explorer ("My Computer") to access the folders. Otherwise use these instructions to map a drive: https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/104043
For Mac Users
For Mac Users
|H: (Home) Drive
- Use the BCC address field if you are sending an email to a large group such as ITS Staff. This prevents someone from starting a mail flood by doing a Respond All.
- Use the group ITS-AllStaff if you want to reach all ITS employees. This group includes staff who have dual appointments.
- Reduce the size of photos before sending them with an email.
- PST files are being phased out. If you still use a PST, please migrate it to server-based storage using these instructions.