Before You Arrive on Campus
1. Know Your HawkID Password
You should already have your HawkID and password after you submitted your application. A HawkID is necessary to register for classes, view tuition, log in to email, and access most online university services. Your HawkID and password provide access to your grades, finances, and other personal information, so you should never share your password.
If you have forgotten your HawkID and/or password or would like to change your password, visit the HawkID Tools page.
2. Set up and Access Your UI Email Account (Office 365)
Request Your Email
Admitted students can request an email account through MyUI:
- Login to MyUI
- Click on the Student Information tab
- Under the My UIowa section, click on My Email
- Click the Request Email Account link
- It will take up to an hour for your email to be created.
Access Your Email
3. Make Sure Your Current Computer is Up to Date or Buy a New Computer with Discounted Student Rates
We'll do our best to support any computer you bring to campus. If you will be purchasing a new computer, take advantage of discounted education rates.
Explore our suggested computer configurations for new and previously purchased computers to see how they compare to our recommended requirements.
If you have already purchased a computer for school, make sure it is up to date by following these easy steps to update your operating system.
4. Download Free and Discounted Software
Once you are registered, you have access to a large volume of software. Browse and download available software.
Download Microsoft Office on up to five personal machines for free. To learn more about this service and how to download your copies, visit the Office 365: Office ProPlus page
FREE Storage with OneDrive
Don't wait for a virus or hard drive failure to wipe out that 20-page paper. Back up important documents with OneDrive for Business, a cloud storage solution that offers plenty of storage space.
5. Download the Free HawkTools Mobile App
HawkTools is a free University of Iowa mobile app that gives students access to the following features (and more):
- Mobile access to many University of Iowa websites, including Bongo (real-time bus tracker), ICON (course manager) and MyUI, where students register for courses, apply for graduation, and more)
- Information about residence hall laundries and open dining locations
- Links to mobile versions of After Class (events calendar for students) and Hawkeyesports.com (schedules for all Iowa sports)
Visit the Apple App Store (for iOS devices) and the Google Play Store (for Android devices)
Once You Arrive on Campus
1. Connect to the Internet
2. Locate Computer Labs and Printers (ITCs)
Called Instructional Technology Centers (ITCs), these groups of computers and printers are located all over campus. View map locations to all ITCs on campus.
3. Explore ICON
Iowa Courses Online (ICON) is an online collection of your courses that allows you to: access course content, take quizzes, interact with your peers, view your grades, and much more.
If you don't see your courses in ICON, don't fret. Your courses will not display until the first day of class. After classes start, it will take at least 24 hours for courses to display after adding new courses. If you still don't see your course after the start of class, contact your instructor.
4. Clickers for Class
Do you still need to purchase a license for your student response system or Clicker? Find more information including how to purchase a license to be used on your personal devices on the Clickers support center page.
5. Review Available Technology Resources
Now that you’re up and running, take a look at all the IT resources available to you.
6. Stay in the Know
Don't be shy. Find us on social media to get updates about tech services, training opportunities and resources, IT security reminders, and IT tips for surviving your college career!