This page is intended to highlight eligibility for ITS services for University of Iowa retirees.
General Technology Assistance
University of Iowa retirees can contact the ITS Help Desk at any time for questions regarding any of these services.
As a University of Iowa retiree, your HawkID will remain active to allow you to access various services and computer discounts (see below for more information). Therefore, ITS recommends that you continue to update your HawkID password when you are notified that it will expire.
Reset Your Own Password
If you haven’t already done so, go to the HawkID website now and provide your password hints so you can use the Forgotten Password Tool and reset your own password in the future.
Note: Access to HR Self-Service will only be available for a period of up to 18 months after you retire. This allows you to download important tax documents and update your residing address, among other tasks you may need to do after retiring.
Your University Email Account
ITS recommends that you change your routing address to a personal email account (e.g., Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo – all free email services). This ensures that you will continue to receive email sent to your UI email address (email@example.com) and limits the number of email accounts you need to check after retirement. More details on changing your routing address can be found here.
Note: If you need to update your routing address after your access to HR Self-Service has ended, you can contact the ITS Help Desk to have that done for you.
The Help Desk can also provide information on moving email from your University account to a new email account.
ITS will continue to provide email accounts to UI retirees under the following conditions:
- UI Office 365 Retiree accounts will remain open unless you request to close it by contacting the ITS Help Desk.
- UIHC Retirees may request a University email account within 30 days of retiring from The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. A new email account will be created with no services or support provided to import data. After 30 days, this offer is no longer valid
- Retirees must not be employed by any other organization
- University of Iowa Help Desk staff will provide support for internet browser-based email access only (https://office365.uiowa.edu). This does not include support for email clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Mac Mail, etc.
- Uses of University information technology resources are not completely private as the information contained will be subject to the University's obligation to respond to subpoenas or other court orders, reasonable discovery requests, and public requests for documents pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 22, the Public (Open) Records Law
- Not to be used for personal commercial gain
- Not to be used for personal political activities such as campaigning for candidates for public office, or for lobbying of public officials
- Unless authorized to speak for the University, users should avoid creating the impression they are doing so
- Not to be used to represent users as employees of the University
Computer Discounts - ITS Computer Purchase Program
As a University of Iowa retiree, you are eligible for discounts on computer purchases. Contact the ITS Help Desk if you have questions about options or would like assistance configuring a computer for your needs.
Network Storage Space
Your online network storage space (your H: drive) will no longer be accessible to you after you retire. Before you retire, you will want to be sure to transfer any departmental files to others in your department and save any personal files you wish to keep to an external source, such as a USB key, DVD, or external hard drive.
ITC and UI Wireless Access
Retirees - Vendors do not offer licensing to retirees for home use.
Unpaid Emeritus (not drawing a paycheck outside of retirement) are covered for on campus use/UI departmental computer if applicable.
- If Emeritus are interested in using the software for on campus/UI departmental computer, they should contact their departmental IT group.
- Vendors do not offer licensing for home use for unpaid Emeritus.
Paid Emeritus are considered employees and are covered for on and off campus use.