As you walk around campus, you may notice there are several wireless networks to choose from. We want you to understand the differences between the networks.  

eduroam – short for education roaming. This is the wireless network that employees and students should use on all devices. eduroam is the secure, worldwide roaming access service developed for the international education community. eduroam requires HawkID authentication to connect. When faculty, staff, and students visit other academic institutions that utilize eduroam, they will automatically connect to wireless without having to reenter their credentials. eduroam started in Europe and is now available in over 100 countries. It is based on the most secure encryption and authentication standards available and is more secure than typical commercial hotspots. More information can be found on the eduroam support pages

UI-Guest – this option is designed for short-term use for campus guests who do not have a HawkID. Employees and students should not use this wireless network as it is not as safe and secure as eduroam. More information can be found on the UI-Guest support page

UI-DeviceNet – this option is designed for student use to connect their gaming and streaming devices to wireless in the residence halls. Laptops, tablets, printers, and phones are not able to connect to this wireless network. Faculty and staff use DeviceNet to connect devices such as smart plugs, thermostats, and research devices. 

Outdoor and Drive-Up Wireless 

This service is offered at various locations across campus and allows employees and students to connect to eduroam in parking lots and other outdoor spaces without entering campus buildings. More information about locations can be found on the outdoor and drive-up wireless support page.  

Wired Network  

Desktop and laptop computers can take advantage of our safe, secure, and fast wired network accessible through data ports located all over campus. An ethernet cable is required to connect.  


For questions on how to use the wireless or wired networks on campus, the Extended Technical Support (ETS) group provides support for university departments. You can easily find the IT professional(s) that provides technical support for your area. You may also contact the ITS Help Desk via phone, email, live chat, and walk-in.  

Your Network at Home  

Have questions about your network access at home? Check out this networking at home guide for helpful information.